Townley (Bexley) v Dartford Grammar for Girls (Kent)

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mcici

Townley (Bexley) v Dartford Grammar for Girls (Kent)

Post by mcici »

Hi there
My daughter has recently passed her 11+ for Bexley (not top 180) and Kent (score 391) and we are now in the position of having to rank grammars for our CAF.
From the schools we visited, I was particularly impressed by Townley and DGSG, both offering great academic results as well as a broad curriculum, great facilities and extra curriculum activities.
I was hoping for some help to try and better understand the main differences (strenghts / weaknesses) between the two schools.
The other 2 Bexley grammars she could apply to (C&S and BG) are both mixed and have had historically lower GCSE results. Also, the impression I had about their facilities was not as positive as for the other two.
I should mention that we are based in the Isle of Dogs (call it Greenwich, just the other side of the river!) and all grammars above are roughly one hour away (my daughter will have some friends making the journey with her) - so there is not much merit in ranking them in order of distance / convenience.
Thank you in advance for your help.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Townley (Bexley) v Dartford Grammar for Girls (Kent)

Post by PettswoodFiona »

What did your DD prefer?

Townley is a lot more urban, has compulsory Drama in first few years and triple science. 32 girls per class. I know a girl who went from a small primary and found it so overwhelming she moved but also know others who love and feed off the energy - so it very much depends on how it felt for your DD when you visited.

Both seem very long journeys neither are definite either. Townley you may not get on distance and DGGS may not get on score - Kent with the higher pass requires this year may filter up to cut-off scores too - no one knows yet.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now