I need some advise

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yus786

I need some advise

Post by yus786 »

Hi

My son is in Y5 and is very bright. They took the Y6/KS2 sats (as a mock) and he got 4A without even revising. Went to the Parents Evening yesterday and his teacher said that he is Bolton School material (http://www.boltonschool.org/) and he should have no problem getting in (or passing the exam). She is confident that he should get level 5 - no probs.

Well i need to make sure he keeps this standard but more importantly i need to prepare him for the 11+ which he'll be taking next January. Looking on Bolton School's website - it says

All applicants will be required to sit an entrance test. For entry to Year 7, there will be four components to the examination:

* an English paper (Creative Writing only) set by the School

A set of three tests from NFER Nelson comprising:

* a verbal reasoning test
* a non-verbal reasoning test
* a mathematical test

So my questions.

1. Which books should i invest in? I've looked at the NFER range but there's so many to choose from.
2. Any other books/cd you recommend?
3. When should i start to prepare him?
4. How long per day/week?
5. Anyone have any knowledge about Bolton School?

Many thanks in advance.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi,

I helped my daughter at home and the books I found really helpful were IPS VR guide (helps explain the methods) and ae tuition NVR workbooks.
yus786

Post by yus786 »

Bex mum wrote:Hi,

and **!!** NVR workbooks.
Sorry don't understand this bit...
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi Yus,

I don't know why it didn't come out properly (new to the forum!) Will try again - AE TUITION NVR Workbooks by Stephen Curran. I bought all these books from this website.
yus786

Post by yus786 »

Bex mum wrote:Hi Yus,

I don't know why it didn't come out properly (new to the forum!) Will try again - **!!** NVR Workbooks by Stephen Curran. I bought all these books from this website.
Hi it looks like it's being masked/banned for some reason. Could you please send me a PM?

Much appreciated
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi

sent a pm, please let me know if you don't receive it

Thanks
capers123

Post by capers123 »

They took the Y6/KS2 sats (as a mock) and he got 4A without even revising.
Off topic, and I could be being a little naive here, but do any children really revise for SATS, be they Y5 or Y6? We haven't thought of getting our child to do any (Y5 at moment) - far too busy with much more fun out-of-school activities for that, the kind of things children enjoy. The only thing ever revised for as such was grade 3 flute, and that was only for 3 weeks before the event.

Surely it's a test of what they've learnt in the classroom and how well they've progressed. I always assumed that it was of more importance to the school as it sets their position in the league tables, and only of slight use to the children if they happen to appeal. Feel free to transfer this to wherever appropriate!
Capers
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

capers123 wrote:
They took the Y6/KS2 sats (as a mock) and he got 4A without even revising.
Off topic, and I could be being a little naive here, but do any children really revise for SATS, be they Y5 or Y6? We haven't thought of getting our child to do any (Y5 at moment) - far too busy with much more fun out-of-school activities for that, the kind of things children enjoy. The only thing ever revised for as such was grade 3 flute, and that was only for 3 weeks before the event.

Surely it's a test of what they've learnt in the classroom and how well they've progressed. I always assumed that it was of more importance to the school as it sets their position in the league tables, and only of slight use to the children if they happen to appeal. Feel free to transfer this to wherever appropriate!
I don't think parents generally ask their children to revise for Y5 or Y6 SATs. But if you take a look at the last several posts on the following thread, you'll find a couple of alternate ways in which KS2 & KS3 SATs results may be used.
I had originally thought, after 11+ work, that I would do some SATs science revision with Y6 DS nearer to the actual tests, but after the way our school has bombarded him with paper upon paper for homework. I know that that won't be happening :D

Sats KS3 Science

I was also told at recent parents evening that DS2 would achieve a L5 in English, if he remembered to add similies, metaphors, and a couple of other things in his essay. I won't be revising but reminding every now and again that these are things he should be trying to add if he wants to get a L5. :D
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

The schools (that I know of, anyway) definitely do more than enough KS2 revivsion . To be honest, as we already knew the secondary school dd would be going to, and which form she would be is, the SATS results were a bit of a non-event!!
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi, regarding the KS2 SATs results - do the results get sent to the childs' new school and then get taken into account when streaming them?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now