Standardised Scoring Question - In and Out of Area

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OverEagerDad

Standardised Scoring Question - In and Out of Area

Post by OverEagerDad »

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with a question that is running round my head with regards to standardised scoring........basically, how is the pass mark calculated?

Does it take the results of all children sitting the exam which could be both in and out of area, work out what the passmark should be no matter where the child is from? And then they apply the admission criteria to all that achieved that score (In Area then Out of Area for example)?

I am just wondering, if it is possible, that say all from out of area in the cohort are super able which sets the pass mark as being really high, which in turn may mean that the children in area do not meet the grade.

There is nothing specific in this, just something running round my head.

Thanks in advance

OED
mad?

Re: Standardised Scoring Question - In and Out of Area

Post by mad? »

It would be helpful if you told us which are this is about? If you let us know I can move this to the relevant section where you may get a more useful response.
mad?
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Thanks Mad

I am in Lancs, but it is more of a general question than specific to Lancashire.

Thanks

OED
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

OverEagerDad wrote:Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with a question that is running round my head with regards to standardised scoring........basically, how is the pass mark calculated?

Does it take the results of all children sitting the exam which could be both in and out of area, work out what the passmark should be no matter where the child is from? And then they apply the admission criteria to all that achieved that score (In Area then Out of Area for example)?

I am just wondering, if it is possible, that say all from out of area in the cohort are super able which sets the pass mark as being really high, which in turn may mean that the children in area do not meet the grade.

There is nothing specific in this, just something running round my head.

Thanks in advance

OED
It probably varies by area.
In Buckinghamshire all the children who sit the exam (in & out of area) have their raw scores standardised by age. The qualifying mark is 121, so the results are standardised so that approximately 30% qualify. Any child with a score of 121+ can apply to the grammar schools (as can those with less than that if they want to appeal). The places are then allocated according to each school's admission criteria (it is further complicated by some schools admitting a certain number pf pupil premium pupils with lower schools, but this is the simple version).
It may well be different in your area. Is there any information on the local authority website?
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

OK, I'll leave it here. There is a detailed explanation of standardisation here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But how it impacts in county/catchment/inner area/designated area etc depends on which are you are in.
mad?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Kent passes 25 % of Kent children through a combination of direct pass and head teacher's assessment. The pass mark is set to pass that percentage and what ooc children do doesn't affect it.

Bexley seems to count on there being many children sitting the test who won't end up at a Bexley grammar. This year it passed 2027 children for 832 places and it's usually at least 1800. Despite that ratio, in at least two of the last three years some of the schools have offered to all selective candidates, however far away, and gone on to those who missed by a mark. Bexley doesn't really have a concept of in county (borough) or out: it guarantees places to the 180 who score highest, then it's siblings and distance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now