Moving out of school catchment after admission

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
polapts

Moving out of school catchment after admission

Post by polapts »

Hello,

Want to know what happens if a child gets a place at a grammar school and parents change home (genuine reason) after admission. If the new home is out of catchment, does the child lose the grammar school place?

So, is there a lock in period that one is not allowed to move out of catchment(6 months, 1-2 years or so) to keep the grammar school place? I tried to search the admission policy documents but could not find anything on this. I came to know from some parents that it's 2 years lock in period but not sure where it comes from. For context I am talking about rules in Bucks.

Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Moving out of school catchment after admission

Post by hermanmunster »

it will be in the admissions policy and will vary by each area. There are some posts currently discussing the fact that in Essex it is until the start of year 7
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you say which particular school in Bucks, people will be able to direct you to the correct information for that particular school. Different school have different requirements and all will be clearly indicated on their websites - around the admissions information which you will, of course, have read and agreed to when you applied for the 11+/secondary school place.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hermanmunster - this appears to be a duplicate post of another exact thread in the same area of the forum! I have replied on the other thread!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Hermanmunster - this appears to be a duplicate post of another exact thread in the same area of the forum! I have replied on the other thread!
Since comments had been made on both, I’ve merged the two threads.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Schools and LAs would take a dim view and will check to see if there’s a case of address fraud, if there was a house move so soon after applying or starting school.

Nearly all schools and LAs would investigate if the move happened soon after allocations or starting school. I know Reading council looked at a primary school case where the parents moved into catchment then promptly moved back again. I don’t know the full story, but They were told if they didn’t move back into catchment, the application would be viewed as fraudulent and the place withdrawn.

If your reasons are genuine and you have evidence to back that up, then I suspect it wouldn’t be a big issue. However it would be worth contacting Bucks admissions beforehand to get their view (and an email/paper trail of their advice).
polapts

Post by polapts »

Thank for the responses. The schools I am interested in are AGS/SHFGS and RLS in Bucks. But I can't find any information on their website or Bucks county admission website.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

The applicant boy must be living at the home address as at the application deadline, and it is
intended that he will still be living there at the date of entry to the school. Any change of
address subsequent to the application for admission being submitted must be notified to
Buckinghamshire County Council and/or the school immediately.

On AGS admissions policy on School website.
polapts

Post by polapts »

Deb70 wrote:The applicant boy must be living at the home address as at the application deadline, and it is
intended that he will still be living there at the date of entry to the school. Any change of
address subsequent to the application for admission being submitted must be notified to
Buckinghamshire County Council and/or the school immediately.

On AGS admissions policy on School website.
Thanks. I understand the rule regarding change in address prior to admission or at the date of entry to the school start. But it's not clear what are the rules after the start of term or say 3-6 months after the start of school.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would refer you back to Tinkers comment - the LA look very closely at address changes, for potential fraudulent applications (as, sadly, there have been many people who have tried to game the Bucks system in that way).

Your best bet is to speak to Bucks LA, now, and explain why you have to move house at 3-6 months after gaining a catchment place and starting at the school - they will then advise you what might happen - on the face of it, although they will likely not be very happy, if you are moving after the child has started at the school, for this particular school (that Deb70 has quoted), then it appears as if you would have met the criteria. However, they would look at any future address change very carefully indeed (if you had further children to come through the secondary education system).

Speak to Bucks LA and ask them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now