Covid 19 = no tutor = DIY

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ciaowood

Covid 19 = no tutor = DIY

Post by ciaowood »

Due to the current situation, our tutoring has been halted - I'm therefore trying to work out a system I can do with my daughter to help her through and potentially, if it works, can continue this until (if) the tests arise in September. I have lots of books: 10 minute tests, 'How To' books, full assessments etc but would like advice as to how much I should be working through with her.

She is very 'anti' me doing anything with her so it is more a case of setting the timer and walking away until we have to go through the answers.

My plan so far is to add a 10 minute test onto every day she does her school work (her school work consists of about 1.5-2 hour's work max) so I feel is a reasonable ask? Plus, aside from doing our usual 5 minutes of her reciting times tables/looking at our word of the day/quick fire questions on maths/gpas, reading for half an hour at bedtime/listening to stories.

In the holidays (we did have sessions booked for a maths course/writing course) do you think a couple of 10 minute tests per week plus a day per week where we work on, say, a piece of writing for an hour?

Does this work for DIY? I have previously paid for tutoring because she is totally opposed to me doing anything with her but obviously I don't want her to 'get behind' because of the situation we are all in. In the same breath, I don't want to overload her.

*Edited to add - is it worth looking at an 'online' resource?

Any advice grateful. Many thanks.
yoyo123

Re: Covid 19 = no tutor = DIY

Post by yoyo123 »

Play scrabble (using a dictionary)
Jigsaws and Tetris are brilliant for nvr

mathplayground.com amazing logic puzzles for critical thinking

sudoku

get mental maths and times tables honed.

sheppardsoftware.com
try ghostblasters2 (google will give you the link) and play against her with multiples and number bonds.
bridge

Post by bridge »

I assume your child is in Y5, in which case that is probably an ok schedule - depending on which area you live in. Obviously the longer this goes on the more I would do to focus on the actual exam. It's difficult to get the motivation as who knows if the exam will go ahead or not.
ciaowood

Post by ciaowood »

Thanks for the advice - we are going to play Scrabble this afternoon and get some puzzles out :D

Yes, she is in Year 5 - we are working on the basis it will still go ahead, but who knows? :(
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Many people hone familiarised before all this so you will find lots of tips if you browse the forum.

You say your DD is anti you being involved but if she is otherwise self motivated that is fine. DD did much of her practice and ten minute tests herself. We did encourage her to identify which types of ones she repeatedly got wrong so she could focus on those. Self critique is a really helpful tool in any test and learning- and takes the pressure of any parent child relationship- and you need to step in with the praise about all they’ve done well and keep up their confidence.

DD would read lots and she would have slips of paper as bookmarks. She would write down a word and page if she didn’t know the meaning and every few days we’d go over them. This way it didn’t interrupt her flow.

Good luck
ciaowood

Post by ciaowood »

Thanks Fiona. I love the bookmark idea! The tutoring place she was at has now converted to online courses so I'm not toally having to DIY it! Thanks for the advice.