classic books - abridged versions online?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
food4thought

classic books - abridged versions online?

Post by food4thought »

Hello folks,
I want to get some classic books for my DD to read. The originals are too hard... anyone know where i can find bridge versions online?
KS10

Re: classic books - bridge versions online?

Post by KS10 »

Hi there, I’ve just checked BBC Sounds and found an abridged version of ‘A Christmas Carol’. I know you wanted something for your DD to read but this is good too. And there may be others.

ETA: when I googled free abridged classics online, goodreads had a few too, but it sounded like it was still quite challenging.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

food4thought wrote:Hello folks,
I want to get some classic books for my DD to read. The originals are too hard... anyone know where i can find bridge versions online?
How old is your DD? We did Jane Eyre in year 6 at a primary school.in the town said at the time (verified or not, I have no idea :lol:) to have the lowest collective IQ in the country and we coped okay with it. I hated the wretched book, mind you, but nothing to do with not being able to understand it

I found this on the New Westminster Public Libraries website:
https://newwestminster.bibliocommons.co ... ype=series.

Obviously, you wouldn't be able to get a library ticket, as New Westminster is in Canada, but it can at least serve as a list of some of the books available.

Nearer to home, the LoveReading4kids website has quite a lot of abridged books.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

Thanks all,

This lockdown means I cant go to the local library, will probably suggest reading the classics, as they are free :-)
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

I found this message in my inbox today........... from someone call Piggy:

The correct term, as I previously explained, is 'ABRIDGED'. Do you find this difficult to understand? There is no such thing as a 'bridge' version.

Do you get it now?

Is this person real???

i thought i should post it here, in case this person is emailing other people with this weird attitude.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

food4thought wrote:I found this message in my inbox today........... from someone call Piggy:

The correct term, as I previously explained, is 'ABRIDGED'. Do you find this difficult to understand? There is no such thing as a 'bridge' version.

Do you get it now?

Is this person real???

i thought i should post it here, in case this person is emailing other people with this weird attitude.
Piggys is an English teacher. Slightly lacking in beating-around-the-bush-ery, perhaps, but she is correct - the term is 'abridged', not 'bridge'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

that is fine, but there is no need to be rude and condescending in life.

imagine waking up on a nice sunny sunday, and having to read ..... [edited] from someone with a user name called piggy!
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

Moderators are looking into this.

Food4thought, could you please go to your inbox and press the alert button next to the offending message? Image This will automatically send a copy to us.

On reflection, since you appear to have had more than a single message, could you please press the alert button for any other PMs received from this member?
We should also be grateful to have any reply you sent, so that everything is in context and we understand the total picture.
You can PM us if you wish. Write to: Moderators.

A reminder to everyone: if you receive a PM that
    • • is rude or offensive, or
      • directly or indirectly advertises a product or service (such as tutoring), or
      • is in any other way a breach of forum rules

please hit the alert button! Image
yoyo123

Re: classic books - abridged versions online?

Post by yoyo123 »

Food4thought.

Have you thought about audiobooks of the classics?
Audible are providing free versions of many of them at the moment (children’s and some adult ones)

You could listen together and talk about the story too, to help comprehension.

Link -
https://stories.audible.com/start-listen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone is interested, they have them in different languages too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now