Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:19 am 

Hello everyone,

One of my friend wants his son to appear 11plus try different grammar schools preferably in London or around london. He is flexible to move his house any where closer to where his son gets a place. What are different schools that he can try, he doesnot really mind the location.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 am 

Your friend needs to understand the deadlines involved in applying for secondary schools as there isn't long between finding out your school on 1 March and starting in early Septmeber.

In addition, while some schools give all or most of their places on the basis of how well they do in the test, some prioritise applications based on whether you are living close to the school at an earlier date, often the October of Y6.

There are several schools that you friend's son can apply to - schools such as QE Barnet, Wilsons in Sutton and St Olave's in south east London are highly sought after and (I think) mainly offer according to test, so you will get a place if you do well enough in the test regardless of where you live. But there is more to choosing where to live than a school - doesn't your friend have any other needs, like being able to commute for work or being in a particular sort of place (urban, suburban, rural?) or having access to particular activities?

Tell your friend to look carefully at each school's admissions criteria, particularly about any requirements for living near the school by a particular date, and also to consider the timeframe between the school being confirmed and when the son would start.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am 

I agree with streathammum, please see this thread which might be helpful. It also links to other similar threads, of which there are several.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm 

Thanks, basically what he is looking for is a grammar school where he wants his son to go...he is nit really concerned about his location as he is self employed and is out of country most of the time, its just his wife and only son who live here, so relocation is not a problem for them...they r just looking for a grammar school they can get thr son in, a less challenging one probably, i think they r looking for a school where it would be easier for thr son to get in whatever the location is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:24 pm 

They probably also need to factor in looking at alternative schools in case the DS doesn’t get a place at any if the GSs they apply for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:52 pm 

Tinkers wrote:
They probably also need to factor in looking at alternative schools in case the DS doesn’t get a place at any if the GSs they apply for.

Particularly if it's a 'less challenging' (?) grammar school they are after?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:05 pm 

Does he have any indication that his son will be at the level required to secure a grammar school place by the time of the exams in September?

This is only 12-14 weeks away.

There are non catchment schools that he can apply to but of course many of them are the most sought after.

Has he been doing any preparation?

A better strategy would be to actually plan a move near a excellent secondary state school so you are within the distance that in the past has secured a place.

Renting within the distance that secures a place for a large intake like Mill High County as well as preparing for the exams at non catchment schools like QE and St Olaves should give you a backup strategy should performance in the exams not go well. DG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:21 pm 

Do they have any other children? Places in good primaries are not always easy to come by.

And doesn't the mother of this child get any say in where she lives? Or does she just have to put up with being wherever her son can get a school place?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:49 pm 

It might be better if your friend could ask their specific questions here? They appear to want a grammar school, but have not explained why, and then ask for something not challenging? The challenge does not tend to be in the school itself but the DC that go there. Asking them what they really want out of life for their DC would be a good starting point. If the answer is 'a grammar school', the next question should be why?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:45 pm 

Daogroupie wrote:
Does he have any indication that his son will be at the level required to secure a grammar school place by the time of the exams in September?

This is only 12-14 weeks away.

There are non catchment schools that he can apply to but of course many of them are the most sought after.

Has he been doing any preparation?

A better strategy would be to actually plan a move near a excellent secondary state school so you are within the distance that in the past has secured a place.

Renting within the distance that secures a place for a large intake like Mill High County as well as preparing for the exams at non catchment schools like QE and St Olaves should give you a backup strategy should performance in the exams not go well. DG

Personally, were I to put myself and my family through the expense and hassle of moving house to be in catchment for a specific comprehensive school in north London, one of the last things that I would be doing is entering my child for the entrance test for a selective school in Orpington, but chacun à son goût, as they say.

And I'm sure it was just a slip of the keyboard, so to speak, but grammar schools are state secondary schools, of course.