Slapdash and Unwilling - Cry for Help

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PerpetualStudent

Re: Slapdash and Unwilling - Cry for Help

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Helen,

One thing off the checklist :D My plan for DD’s summer includes computer games with lots of speedy typing and an intro to speech-to-text software. DD can sign a card, fill in a form and write a shopping list so we have the essentials covered, but after years of trying to improve and speed up her handwriting I’m willing to throw in the towel (note - rolling towels up by hand is a simple hand strengthening exercise). :lol:

PS
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

Thank you all - it's reassuring that other families have the same issues! Interestingly, my eldest also complained about 'pain in his wrists' when writing but he seems to have grown out of that as he's now at secondary (he is definitely hyper-mobile). Saying that, even though creative writing wasn't his forte, his writing was always very neat which now results in some excellent note-taking (he's quite a fast writer). Although not as naturally able as my younger son, I sometimes wonder whether he might be the one who achieves more in the end, due to his legible writing and fast note-taking. Who knows?

Good advice, I will look into all the options. Sometimes I think that my youngest (messy writer) son has so many thoughts and they come so fast that he struggles to keep up with it when trying to write down his thoughts.

Thanks again
Mumma555

Post by Mumma555 »

Similar problems. In the end I had to go for rewards. These worked well eventually for both . However the rewards had to be very carefully designed to be be meaningful, genuinely motivating, negotiated and ageed(so DD was involved in working them out) not too big not too small, VERY Consistently applied, and NOT continuously reviewed (DD wanted to renegotiate every day Lol, so we had so say once agreed it could only be reviewed after three weeks. Phew.! anyway, once we got all that sorted, it worked a treat.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Nella wrote:Hi, one of my twins has hypermobile joints and handwriting is appalling. They get very tired when writing. Core and shoulder stability exercises have helped although there has been a marked regression whilst off school. Also problems with organisation - still a work in progress- secondary school will be a huge challenge.

Is there any ‘medical’ reason? Would core and shoulder stability exercises help? Have the school used any programmes- e.g. speed up and write from the start? I can’t remember exactly what they are called
Hi,

My son has joint hypermobility. This is genetic and happens more in some races than others. The rheumatologist that saw him when he was younger explained that he needed to get a very strong body to support it. If your joints are softer, you would struggle to be upright, etc. If your muscles are strong, they keep you up. The same issues with his handwriting, in fact, that's why he ended up there. He'll start year 10 soon and his handwriting has improved as he cannot avoid writing. He does struggle and is in pain when writing not for long. He did do all sort of exercises with balls you could squish. Not sure if that helped. Hypermobility could work to their advantage if the body is strong. Many athletes/dancers/gymnasts are hypermobile.

Also, some joints may be softer than others. It's unfortunate to have your fingers too soft as this interferes with writing and other things. However, he does love the cello and has persevered through pain!

At school, children who have joint hypermobility are often seen as hyperactive as they can't be still. The reason is not lack of attention, but the pain of sitting up straight.

Salsa
salsa

Post by salsa »

@turnip08,

I do know children like that, but not that many. I have certainly not produced any! 11+ preparation is something that children are having to prepare for these days. Some are starting at very early ages. All that studying, on top of their school work can be too much.

Good luck!

Salsa
Nella

Post by Nella »

salsa wrote: At school, children who have joint hypermobility are often seen as hyperactive as they can't be still. The reason is not lack of attention, but the pain of sitting up straight.
Absolutely- the greatest challenge was getting the teachers to understand this manifestation!
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

I’ve been thinking about other reasons for DC to have trouble writing. Though I’m no expert, dysgraphia can lead to DC being good at writing when they give their whole attention to it but very bad if they have to devote mental space to composing, analysing or solving. This is because the act of handwriting hasn’t become automatic.