Morning and afternoon tests

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Polgara_Glos

Morning and afternoon tests

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I was at at virtual event with DC and the question was asked on the headteacher:

Children are proven to be better in the mornings. How will the test be standardised to ensure fairness for those in the afternoon sitting’

We are in a CEM area. Head said he would ask exam board.

Is this being looked at elsewhere? I can imagine that with many kids scoring the same on a paper this could be the difference between a place or not?!?
choceyes

Re: Morning and afternoon tests

Post by choceyes »

Following with interest.

We are in a CEM area too. My DD's been given the lunch time slot (12.15-3.15pm...who does lunch time tests?!! but anyway...) and I'd have preferred a morning slot, just to get it over and done with. Hadn't considered that the morning children might be at an advantage. She's done 2 mock exams in test centres, one has been at 2pm and the other at 1.30pm, and she did well in both, didn't seem to affect her. She is not generally a morning person anyway, takes a while to get going, so might work to her advantage. But my son like a lot of other children would definitely been better in the morning. Will be interesting to see what the examination board says.
Nella

Post by Nella »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... -afternoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m sure you could find evidence either way to try and prove some advantage or disadvantage!
choceyes

Post by choceyes »

Interesting study. My DD is definitely more alert in the afternoon and my son is more so in the morning. DD sleeps in a lot and DS is up before the rest of the household.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I wouldn't fret about it too much, your child will have to do morning exams all their school/university life and no-one will give them any allowances for it. Believe me, it feels like much more of a problem when you have a teenager who all through study leave never wakes up until midday but some days has to get to school for 9am for an A level exam.
Just focus on the stuff that you can influence.
scary mum
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Yes, I wouldn't worry. Remember with exams adrenalin will kick in so even if it might not usually be their most alert time, they will be ok. Just have a peaceful morning. Our primary would only authorise half day absences for 11 plus but we did keep #1 at home the morning before an afternoon test.