How far shall I factor in for commuting to school for DS?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Socks

Re: How far shall I factor in for commuting to school for DS

Post by 2Socks »

I've got a bee in my bonnet about kids doing long commutes so have posted a few times about the hassles I had when I travelled 45 minutes on the school coach (+ walking to & waiting at the bus stop, so at least an hour each way in total). Just think about what happens if they need drop off / collection during the day / early morning/late evening or miss the bus etc. I missed out on loads of clubs / performances / matches / going to friends houses etc as parents couldn't do the journey every time. Also was jealous of my friends who had their homework basically finished before I even got home. It all depends on your circumstances though and how much you love the school/dislike closer schools. A good public transport option would have definitely helped.
Rolanda

Post by Rolanda »

Gosh, these are so valuable notes! The water is deeper than I thought!

Obviously I didn't think of the complexity of eventuality, like staying late for clubs and etc. It's true about the change of transport means. I remember those days when I had to commute via walk+tube+train+bus. Those were distressful a few years.

I will bear in mind when I look around. I'd love DS to go to DAO which is just 10 mins drive from ours, but the bar is really high! And I just realised, after reading all your wisdom, it would take nearly 50mins by public transport and over 1 hour by foot. Ouch!

Thanks to all. :P
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Rolanda wrote: I'd love DS to go to DAO which is just 10 mins drive from ours, but the bar is really high! And I just realised, after reading all your wisdom, it would take nearly 50mins by public transport and over 1 hour by foot. Ouch!

We're geographically quite close to a couple of schools, but actually getting there, other than driving is rather difficult. DD would have a shorter day going to a more distant comp than our closest comp, purely because transport options don't work out!
solimum

Post by solimum »

We were recently in the area my DH moved to as a child (and ended up taking the 11+ as a "late" entrant in September). We drove from his old house in a quiet Bucks village, along the bus route he had to take to grammar school in Aylesbury, past the point 4 miles away where the bus once dumped them all to walk home in the snow, through the long tedious miles. He hated it with a vengeance - the long distance added to his difficulties as a nerdy, non-sporty, probably ASD boy in making friends, and when we were looking for somewhere to live with our own children the close proximity of a "good enough school for our children was top priority so they wouldn't be faced with the same problems. They had a 30-40 min walk to the local excellent comprehensive (my mum thought they'd be scarred for life! ) or a 10 min drive if we tried to go at the same time as everyone else. At sixth form one went to the local 6th form college, one did then take on the hour's journey to a grammar (which did involve a train/ bus change or an hour's round trip for a parent pick-up on late orchestra days).

Would any of them have done better academically if they'd gone through the 11+ or the local private schools? Possibly DS1 could have, but as he is now on his way to being a Chartered Engineer, has plenty of friends from school, uni and beyond, I can't see that he would be any better off. Remember that the school your DC attend will also affect your own social / parent taxi life too - school concerts or PTA or Bonfire Nights or sport, parties and shared homework, you will be making contact with other families and if they are relatively local it is far easier all round. Being part of the local community and having those connections is valuable.

But you know your own area, and your own DC better than random parents on the internet. Just take note of the effect on the whole family of those long commutes
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Both DC went to a school which required travel on the school bus (about 45 mins each way because of the stops). Both were involved in after-school activities and either came home via public transport or DH picked them up. DS did drama, cricket and music, and DD did netball and music. It is doable but it depends on your family circumstances. Mine would not have been happy if they couldn’t have participated in sport in particular.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Rolanda wrote:Gosh, these are so valuable notes! The water is deeper than I thought!

Obviously I didn't think of the complexity of eventuality, like staying late for clubs and etc. It's true about the change of transport means. I remember those days when I had to commute via walk+tube+train+bus. Those were distressful a few years.

I will bear in mind when I look around. I'd love DS to go to DAO which is just 10 mins drive from ours, but the bar is really high! And I just realised, after reading all your wisdom, it would take nearly 50mins by public transport and over 1 hour by foot. Ouch!

But there's a school bus (several) from Barnet so you'd only have to factor in public transport for after school activities, maybe a couple of times a week. There are always loads of children going to the station after late finishes and - in normal times at least - plenty of people prepared to do list shares etc.
London (including Barnet) is one of those places where many children have to commute to school; even if the distance isn't long the journey time often is.
We moved from Barnet when dd was in year 8 and moved much closer to the school - but the journey time remains the same because they either walk or get a much less reliable bus.
Rolanda

Post by Rolanda »

It's quite stressful to take all into account, isn't it! I'm glad I have another 2 years to work out our list!

Thank you!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now