Face to Face tuition under new Lock down rules from 5th Nov

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cybekpmc

Face to Face tuition under new Lock down rules from 5th Nov

Post by cybekpmc »

Can someone clarify and provide guidance if it is allowed to send the child to after school private tuition at a local tutor / tuition center under the new lockdown rules effective from Thursday, 5th November ?
scary mum

Re: Face to Face tuition under new Lock down rules from 5th

Post by scary mum »

I suspect not. Schools can open, but I guess tutoring counts as a children's activity (happy to be wrong, but that how I read it). The guidance states (my bold):
Parents will still be able to access some registered childcare and other childcare activities (including wraparound care) where reasonably necessary to enable parents to work, or for the purposes of respite care.

Early years settings can remain open. Parents are able to form a childcare bubble with another household for the purposes of informal childcare, where the child is 13 or under. As above, some households will also be able to benefit from being in a support bubble, which allows single adult households to join another household.

Some youth services may be able to continue, such as 1-1 youth work and support groups, but most youth clubs and groups will need to cease for this period.
Edited to add:
There is a specific page giving guidance fot this type of thing, but it has not yet been updated following Saturday's announcement. I imagine it will be updated in the coming days.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Possibly a little like driving lessons and tests (which have been suspended)
cybekpmc

Post by cybekpmc »

I though Tuition is considered under Education and because of this reason it was allowed under the previous published guidance ( 15th Oct). For the national lockdown they have not said much about it.. I believe they should update it in due course. They also mentioned that you are allowed to go and work in people's house as it is your work location.. going by this rule - tutors should be allowed to go and provide tuition to someone's house and vice versa.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No, it's an "out of school setting" according to the link above. And the work could be done remotely from home unlike cleaners, electricians etc. Hopefully it will become clear shortly.
scary mum
cybekpmc

Post by cybekpmc »

The Guidance is updated now -
"https://www.gov.uk/guidance/education-a ... -2020#ooss

Out-of-school activities that are primarily used by home educating parents as part of their arrangements for their child to receive a suitable full-time education (which could include, for example, tuition centres, supplementary schools, or private tutors) may also continue to operate for the duration of the national restrictions."
What do you suggest now?
Nella

Post by Nella »

I suppose it depends on how ‘full time education’ is defined. I would argue that attending main stream school is full time education and therefore it does not include children having tuition in addition to this.

Suitably vague like the rest of the guidance!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Lock down will hopefully be a month, maybe two. (She says fingers crossed).

Either your DC has an exam around the corner, in which case by they should be just about ready.

Or they will be sitting next year, in which case you have plenty of time left. Missing a month or two of F2F tuition shouldn’t be a major impact.

Either way, if I was a parent in that position I wouldn’t want to put my child through F2F tuition and would seek or continue with online stuff for the hopefully shortish period
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It’s 4 weeks.

You can work at home with your child in that time. Play word games like Scrabble or Boggle, read books, do quizzes, there is a multitude of online maths games which I can send links for.

4 weeks is not long in the scheme of things.

Each contact is a risk for the tutor, a risk for you and your family and a risk for vulnerable people in the community.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is there some reason why an online lesson is not possible? DG