Historical exams & results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
juliemv1959

Historical exams & results

Post by juliemv1959 »

Hello
I'm new here so hope you can help. I was born on 03/07/1959 so I estimate I would have taken my 11+ exam in 69/70/71? I am desperately trying to find out whether or not I passed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would I have taken it at the end of junior school or the beginning of senior school? Which examining body would it have been? Knowsley Borough Council only seem to be interested in getting children into schools at the moment.
Thanking you in advance.
Julie
hermanmunster

Re: HISTORICAL EXAMS & RESULTS

Post by hermanmunster »

You would have been the same academic year as me (though I was not in Knowsley) - my 11 plus exam would have been early 1970 when we were in the top juniors with a view to starting new school in Sept 1970.

Goodness knows who the board were - suspect the local authority set their own test and I doubt that any results / records have been kept - the structure of the LEAs may well have changed and they may well have moved offices and destroyed papers after an appropriate time. I don't know about educational records but the max that medical records are kept is 25 years (obstetric) so guess the education records would be less than that
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are there any local Facebook groups focusing on the history of your area? If so, there may be someone on there with particular knowledge of the education system (or even someone from the LA who is happy to answer questions on the site, as opposed to not having the time to do so as part of their day job, so to speak). The chances of your records still existing are fairly slim, though, as HM has indicated.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
juliemv1959

Post by juliemv1959 »

hermanmunster wrote:You would have been the same academic year as me (though I was not in Knowsley) - my 11 plus exam would have been early 1970 when we were in the top juniors with a view to starting new school in Sept 1970.

Goodness knows who the board were - suspect the local authority set their own test and I doubt that any results / records have been kept - the structure of the LEAs may well have changed and they may well have moved offices and destroyed papers after an appropriate time. I don't know about educational records but the max that medical records are kept is 25 years (obstetric) so guess the education records would be less than that
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I'm sure you are right, they are probably destroyed. : (
juliemv1959

Post by juliemv1959 »

ToadMum wrote:Are there any local Facebook groups focusing on the history of your area? If so, there may be someone on there with particular knowledge of the education system (or even someone from the LA who is happy to answer questions on the site, as opposed to not having the time to do so as part of their day job, so to speak). The chances of your records still existing are fairly slim, though, as HM has indicated.
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I will have a look as you suggested. I have also submitted a FOI (Freedom of Information Request) with Knowsley Borough Council. They may be able to point me in the right direction!
Sorrel

Re: Historical exams & results

Post by Sorrel »

Might be more a subject access request (for information held about you, under data protection law) but see what they say. No chance of getting in touch with someone who knew you/ your family and might have known and remember?
Stroller

Re: Historical exams & results

Post by Stroller »

Curiosity I understand, but beyond that, what - if anything - would change if you knew the answer?
Could you do anything with the information?

If I were to tell you (falsely, but kindly) that you passed, perhaps you might feel happy/vindicated.
But if you were to find out that you didn’t pass, how could that make you feel better?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now