Standarised scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Re: Standarised scores

Post by KenR »

Interesting - do they count the 11 y 0 month half cohort in with the 10 y 11 mo, and 10 y 0 mo in with 10 y 1 mo, to avoid the situation where you're standardising the results of a much smaller group? With a test in early Sep it could be a very small group of just 11 year olds.
I recall from the Birmingham CEM Age Standardisation tables that I obtained some years ago (following a FOI request to the KE Foundation) that the tables cover 1 year's worth of ages covering the the max/min extremities of the 11+ year group on the actual date of the exam.

I don't think the number of children from the cohort in any particular age segment is relevant to the Age Standardisation process.

What I'm not sure about is what they do regarding Age Standardisation for very late sitters which might be outside the initial table boundaries (bearing in mind that the B/ham consortium can use the same exam for up to 12 months from the original date of the exam for children moving into the B/Ham region). I assume that they might produce a revised table with extrapolated values.

I did produce a number of postings on the Birmingham forum many years ago showing the impact of age standarisation on the raw scores, viz.
The conversion of raw marks to standardised scores for a particular Grammar School will vary with Age profile - the difference can often be quite significant.

For example, in the Birmingham KE VR Tests in 2004 , to achieve a Standardised Score of 118 a child aged 11.18 years on the exam day would have to achieve score 71/100, whereas a child who was only 10.22 years would only have to score 65/100. Quite a difference.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Having a September born child, standardisation does make me a little nervous. When my DD took the CEM test two years ago, summer born children did *seem* to score more highly than those born earlier in the academic year. Our area has changed to GL now and this year is the first year of the new test so I will trust the process while impatiently waiting for the results.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SofiaCerano wrote:Having a September born child, standardisation does make me a little nervous. When my DD took the CEM test two years ago, summer born children did *seem* to score more highly than those born earlier in the academic year. Our area has changed to GL now and this year is the first year of the new test so I will trust the process while impatiently waiting for the results.
Do you mean the raw scores of the summer-born? Because CEM results are age standardised as well.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx