Has the virus changed your views on which school to go for?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bridge

Re: Has the virus changed your views on which school to go f

Post by bridge »

I assume some people must have missed the furore around this issue!! It was quite well reported - nothing personal (I believe the Sevenoaks school got caught particularly badly).

The Tiffin Girls School has been very good during the lock down. My guess, and just a guess, is that areas that still have the 11+ and many grammar schools (Kent etc) would see a greater variation in lock down delivery.

Nevertheless we are now considering private for 6th form. Don't want to take any chances over the next few years.
jxp

Post by jxp »

Yes, it has changed my outlook.

Earlier I was planning to move house to be inside a catchment area. However, in lockdown my whole family realised that we enjoyed our large home (we have no grammar schools where we live) + big garden + open space nearby so dropped the idea of moving house altogether. With my budget I could only afford a smaller house in a good school catchment area.

My DD will still sit for super selective schools but I accepted not getting thru any such school is not end of the world.

I am also relieved that I can WFH and even after pandemic ends, it is unlikely that I'll commute to London daily 5 days a week. My employer adopted a hybrid working approach and in future if I change jobs, I shall make sure it allows 3 days WFH minimum even if that means taking a salary cut.

The pandemic demonstrated me the art of possible.
bridge

Post by bridge »

ToadMum wrote:
bridge wrote:If I could afford private for all my children that is what I would be doing. Parents sending their children to private schools got what they paid for results wise. I know of children that failed to get into the local selective schools who have far out performed what might have been reasonable to expect (given what their parents had said pre-lockdown). The parents were absolutely delighted. It was not surprising to hear university admissions saying that this was going to be the poshest ( :roll: ) intake they have ever had!

Yes, not tarring all indies - or their parent body - with the same brush, of course, but last year was a complete godsend for those parents, wasn't it? Although there must have been the odd private school where the parents found that what they had paid for instead was the honesty and integrity of the teaching staff and SLT. But I expect they got over it eventually.

Universities are apparently expecting a higher than usual drop-out rate amongst the 2020 intake, so not necessarily such a godsend, at the end of the day, for all the students concerned.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Private schools in England give pupils top grades in 70% of A-level entries -

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... el-entries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's always time to catch up!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now