My one concern about grammar schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

My DD has needed a great deal of support in her first term - however, I don't think this just applies to GSs. Many of my friends, with children at both comps & privates, are having similar issues.

DD is finding things easier now (in terms of time & organisation) as her confidence grows but still I would not dream of leaving her to it. She likes to show me what she is doing and :shock: to discuss ways of improving her work. The school made it vary clear that we (parents) are expected to take an active interest in their work.

Some of my DD's friends do prefer to keep the work to themselves - I'm glad my DD is not one of these. I see it as (one of) my roll(s) to encourage her to do the best that she can. I imagine my son will keep his work to himself as he is likely to only do the bare minimum and would rather I didn't see it!

I have a number of friends with children at prep schools where the children stay at school to do all of their prep. Some love it as they don't need to get involved at all and others find it hard being totally shut out.

I have always wondered how children at boarding schools are persuaded to practise musical instruments. Are practise sessions timetabled? Mine would never practise without me 'reminding' them.

Sorry, in a waffling mood today :)
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

As a GS teacher of 9 years and a general secondary teacher of 14 years i would say that year on year the kiddies expect teachers (and possibly the parents) to do more for them...to the point where you literally stand over them when they are doing coursework guiding them through each and every note/harmony....this never used to be the case when i was at school (20 years ago) it was do coursework, hand it in - teacher told us title or gave us suggestions and then we were left to get on with it...nowadays its full page explainations, coursework clubs etc etc...kids are certainly less good at independent learning in general now i think...is this because they do too much, is it because the primary curriculum and lower secondary years allow this too happen...yes i think so amongst other things.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Guest55 is far too diplomatic.:lol: :lol:

Charlotte67-
BS is an institution, they are not persuaded- they conform!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

reginaphalangie, I'm confused :? . Should we, in your opinion, be helping (as you seemed to suggest in earlier posts) or will our help just make the little darlings less able to think for themselves (as suggested in your recent post)~??? :?

I have lost the plot now...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

well, I went to secondary school 40 years ago, the work was far more regimented, many teachers dictated and we worked through text books, exrcise by exercise. Some of our teachers were inspired(especially the French teacher who swept in with all the school gossip...in French!) others less so.

I was of the O level generation so there was no casework and having been through GCSEs with my daughter and son I think that the work is very different , in some cases better in some worse. There is a lot more independent learning, especially for art and music.

As our children grow up we are still there but maybe a little more subtly in the background. Education should be like when they were learning to ride a bike. At first we push them along with their tricycle, then 2 wheels with stabilisers, then holding on but letting them pedal.....etc.

My daughter is at uni in her second year, I am hovering in the background with plasters for when she needs me...

That's how it should be...

btw I still ring MY mum occasionally to ask how to do something!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

What a lovely post Yoyo. :)
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

I think that some parents have completely the right balance as do some teachers... to be there in the background making sure stuff is ticking along nicely...some parents and some teachers do far too much for the kids...and some parents just think its the schools job. thats how i see it as a mum and a teacher. :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Guest55 wrote:Tipsy,

Boarding schools give a structure to children - there's prep and they are guided quite heavily as to what to do and how to do it. They are not left to do homework on their own in their rooms.
Actually, it depends on the school and at a number of senior schools they do homework in their rooms or in the library but they do not have a set time to do this and have to work out their own timetables. They are not forced to do prep either but are made aware that it is their fault if their grades go down. If the school is concerned they have a chat with the pupil and parents but again if the kid doesn't do it then they just get a lower grade.The reality is that its rare as its not socially acceptable amongst peers to do this.

Maybe you conformed at BS school mitasol - I assume you have first hand experience to make this comment? How I would love my kids to conform at times but BS seems to have enhanced their confidence and they are more comfortable expressing their individuality now.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

I see no evidence on this site that prospective grammar school parents are laid back. My sense is that we are compelled by an instinct that comes from who knows where. My concern is slightly different but related to the interesting point from the originator of this thread. Where's the love of education for its own sake in all this?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Tipsy – I had assumed from the E. V’s W. posts that you had a traditional BS in mind – but clearly, you must have sent the little tyke to Summerhill! :wink:

So I’m not completely off topic – G.S. Parents

Yes, I think we're all barking mad but like neurotic kent mum I’m hoping at the end of this process, to return to a more laid back state. :shock: