Keeping motivated and challenged

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
7Wonders

Keeping motivated and challenged

Post by 7Wonders »

Hi, my daughter is sitting the SW Herts test in Sept. I've been preparing her here at home and she's doing really well - her maths has always been strong, so we've been spending more time on VR and she's made lots of progress. We're really focusing now on vocab as that feels like that's the main area which could have a big impact. We've been doing practice tests - CGP and GL and she's getting really high scores, and I'm now just a bit concerned about how to keep her (and me!) motivated and engaged for the next couple of months. I can see that she's thinking 'I can do this now, why are we still practising?'. I keep saying that we need to keep things ticking over but honestly not sure how to do that without it getting a bit deathly dull. Would it be worth searching out some harder tests or workbooks to stretch her a bit more (she loves being challenged), and if so, where would I find those? I know this is a fortunate problem to have but any thoughts appreciated!
Daogroupie

Re: Keeping motivated and challenged

Post by Daogroupie »

I think you are being very wise as it is really important for her to continue to be challenged.

The actual exam is likely to be harder than the published materials that she has been working with.

I would recommend doing a mock which will give her experience of being in a formal timed environment.

The June Sutton mocks had 2023 other Y5s to compete against and the August one will probably have more.

Seeing her results ranked in a spreadsheet compared with thousands of other Y5s will help her appreciate the level of the competition. DG
7Wonders

Re: Keeping motivated and challenged

Post by 7Wonders »

Thanks. Yes, I have an in-person mock booked for her in late July, but perhaps some of the online tests are worth doing to get that comparison.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now