GL and CEM : how “different” is the prep needed really?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Aethel

GL and CEM : how “different” is the prep needed really?

Post by Aethel »

Both my DDs sat CEM, but now my DS3 is about to start DIY prep with me… and Bucks is GL, Slough is still CEM.

I have heard people on here mentioning “not having time to prepare both types” of exam…. is it really that specific a preparation timetable that doing one impacts negatively on the other?

I do understand there will be a few new bits to cover (codes, spatial reasoning, block text comprehension but how can preparing for one exam be so different to the other?

If anyone has experience of both please explain…. thanks!
exam2019

Re: GL and CEM : how “different” is the prep needed really?

Post by exam2019 »

In my (very limited) experience, the background prep of good vocab, fast maths etc is all the same.
But it is the question types and issues about exam format which creates additional work.
We are in catchment for 2 different superselectives - one is GL and the other CEM.
We preferred the GL school and so have prepared solely for that exam format due to lack of time.
We are doing 60-90 mins per day of work over the holidays focussing on past papers and exam technique/timings to get the speed and accuracy up. DD needs to score over 80% to stand a chance of selection. She has dyslexia and so it wouldn't be feasible for us to do that same level of prep for the CEM test at the same time.
She may sit the CEM, but she'll have only 2 weeks on practice papers around school, instead of 6 weeks of focussed time in school holidays.
So I'd say it is very dependent on your child's abilities, school preference, level of competition and the amount of time you have as a family.
You'll probably just need to start and see how you get on. That's what we did. Good luck
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Aethel wrote:Both my DDs sat CEM, but now my DS3 is about to start DIY prep with me… and Bucks is GL, Slough is still CEM.

I have heard people on here mentioning “not having time to prepare both types” of exam…. is it really that specific a preparation timetable that doing one impacts negatively on the other?

I do understand there will be a few new bits to cover (codes, spatial reasoning, block text comprehension but how can preparing for one exam be so different to the other?

If anyone has experience of both please explain…. thanks!
We started preparing for CEM and GL (VR NVR & maths, not English or writing). We would have carried on, but one grammar school changed from GL to CEM which meant we could drop the GL prep.

Maths and NVR are more or less the same in both.
VR is about 75% the same. CEM is more vocabulary based and GL has sequences and codes.

Is there a GL English test in your area? GL English is closer to KS2 than anything from CEM.

Is there a creative writing task to go with either test?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

My two sat both GL and CEM tests but preparation was focused on GL. Seemed not to disadvantage them in the CEM one. A lot of their friends also sat the two types, as well as the test for the local superselective that sets its own. Generally they tended to come out at a similar place across the tests (so how they did in one would be an excellent predictor of their score in another). They prepared with different tutors/ in different ways so I wouldn't worry too much.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD sat CEM and GL and we didn’t particularly prepare for one or the other. The GL test had spatial which isn’t in CEM and isn’t even in all GL tests and it was hard to find test examples. We focussed on her being ready for whatever was thrown at her and it seems to work as she passed all with flying colours. I think the CEM suited her style better and for others it may be that GL does.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now