11+ test recorded as unauthorised absence at primary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KaB£H1s3

Re: 11+ test recorded as unauthorised absence at primary

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Proud-Dad wrote:
KaB£H1s3 wrote:Our primary school is recording non attendance due to 11+ tests as an unauthorised absence.

Is this normal?
And should I care?

They sent an email just now reminding parents that 11+ isn't part of the curriculum and there's a local comprehensive school. Therefore they cannot authorise any absence due to children sitting tests at selective schools.

I tried to phone them but school is closed now, no one answered the phone.

Then I sent an angry email.

DH said I should have waited till test day, then phoned in to say DS is sick. That way he'd get marked down as sick and not unauthorised.
If it was me I would change school over it.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Travel, friends etc to consider.
aquafina

Post by aquafina »

I think Proud - Dad’s comment was tongue in cheek... At least I hope it was! :shock:
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

aquafina wrote:I think Proud - Dad’s comment was tongue in cheek... At least I hope it was! :shock:
I wouldn't really change school but I would say it just to make the receptionist scared. Usually they are the one making these sort of threats.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Proud-Dad wrote:
aquafina wrote:I think Proud - Dad’s comment was tongue in cheek... At least I hope it was! :shock:
I wouldn't really change school but I would say it just to make the receptionist scared. Usually they are the one making these sort of threats.
:lol: :lol: receptionist might think "thank goodness for that"
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

I wouldn't worry about it, they're not going to fine you for half a day destressing after an 11 plus test. I'm not sure why they need to mark as unauthorised but our school did the same, and there are no practical consequences.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

You're right. There's no point thinking about it.

I might need the school to write a nice reference if DS is borderline, so no value in upsetting them.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:You're right. There's no point thinking about it.

I might need the school to write a nice reference if DS is borderline, so no value in upsetting them.
schools can get irritating sometimes and it is well worth just not saying anything and looking forward to being elsewhere
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

Not sure what others think but if my DS is border line and didn't pass for a couple of marks I probably wouldn't appeal because I don't want him to be struggling in a Grammar school for the next 5 years.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You might want to question your perception of the 11+ as a precise scientific mechanism for assessing academic potential.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Proud-Dad wrote:

Not sure what others think but if my DS is border line and didn't pass for a couple of marks I probably wouldn't appeal because I don't want him to be struggling in a Grammar school for the next 5 years.
There's a lot of issues to consider and balance. Alternative schools, where the friends are going, how DC is doing through years of schooling so far....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now