11+ test recorded as unauthorised absence at primary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KaB£H1s3

11+ test recorded as unauthorised absence at primary

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Our primary school is recording non attendance due to 11+ tests as an unauthorised absence.

Is this normal?
And should I care?

They sent an email just now reminding parents that 11+ isn't part of the curriculum and there's a local comprehensive school. Therefore they cannot authorise any absence due to children sitting tests at selective schools.

I tried to phone them but school is closed now, no one answered the phone.

Then I sent an angry email.

DH said I should have waited till test day, then phoned in to say DS is sick. That way he'd get marked down as sick and not unauthorised.
Tinkers

Re: 11+ test recorded as unauthorised absence at primary

Post by Tinkers »

I believe it should be marked as absence for educational reasons. At least it was when my DD took it.

She was allowed time off for dance exams as well for the same reason. Does the school allow time off for those sorts of things?
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Tinkers wrote:I believe it should be marked as absence for educational reasons. At least it was when my DD took it.

She was allowed time off for dance exams as well for the same reason. Does the school allow time off for those sorts of things?
I'm not sure.
I know kids go to dance exams, music and sports tournaments but my kids haven't yet. I don't know how the school records those absences.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Are you in a county (eg Kent ,
Bucks) which has county wide grammars? If so it would be put down as educational.

Nit sure about other counties though. Perhaps ring your local authority?
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

yoyo123 wrote:Are you in a county (eg Kent ,
Bucks) which has county wide grammars? If so it would be put down as educational.

Nit sure about other counties though. Perhaps ring your local authority?
Trafford. We've got a small number of grammars in one council borough. It's not county wide.

There's nothing I can do this side of the test. We're going to the test on Monday.

I'm wondering if I should just accept the unauthorised absence mark and forget about it.

Is there any consequences for 1 day of unauthorised absence.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KaB£H1s3 wrote: Is there any consequences for 1 day of unauthorised absence.
I honestly don't know - my kids went to private primaries and it wasn't a big deal. I think some schools do special awards for those with no absence and they may be rather piggy and exclude the kids who took the 11 plus etc, particular if it the award is a day out or whatever.

The child's attendance record is pretty irrelevant at this stage, suspect you have to have a good many "UAs" before it would come to the attention of the authorities - a quick google suggests that one LEA investigates after 15 events.

It is tricky when schools do this and not supportive of the staff, I think you have to just see that you are the parent making decisions about your child's future education and at this point that means taking the day to sit the exam.
lizmcp

Post by lizmcp »

Tell them your child should be marked present under Code J - this means they are offsite but doing something educational. It can be used for music exams, school visits, job interviews (obviously at an older age). I raised this when my DD was going on a taster day at a potential secondary school, and as soon as I mentioned Code J they realised I knew what I was talking about, and said it would be okay.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Aha! Yes.
I remember there was a code I used when children are off visiting secondary schools to look around etc. Couldn’t remember which one! As we (Kent) are a grammar county 11+ was never an issue here.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:Our primary school is recording non attendance due to 11+ tests as an unauthorised absence.

Is this normal?
And should I care?

They sent an email just now reminding parents that 11+ isn't part of the curriculum and there's a local comprehensive school. Therefore they cannot authorise any absence due to children sitting tests at selective schools.

I tried to phone them but school is closed now, no one answered the phone.

Then I sent an angry email.

DH said I should have waited till test day, then phoned in to say DS is sick. That way he'd get marked down as sick and not unauthorised.
If it was me I would change school over it.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Thanks for your helpful messages.

School have comprised and offered an offsite education code for the morning during the test. They want all kids back to school in the afternoon.

I was thinking DS should be at home to de-stress in the afternoon. We would be rushing to make it back to school and we don't need to add anymore stress today, even after the exam.