Filling CAF form - Existing through school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Re: Filling CAF form - Existing through school

Post by streathammum »

No, that's not right. If they put the school on the CAF, even at the bottom of the list, they would get a place because they'd be so high up on the admissions criteria. I don't know what the position would be if they submit a CAF but don't name the school and are unsuccessful for all the schools they do name - it may be that they would get a place anyway but I would have to look into it.

The all-through schools near me aren't really competing with grammar schools - not everything is about the 11+

ETA - the all-through schools near me have more forms in secondary than in primary so they still run an admissions process to fill the extra places. They have admissions criteria like other schools, but being in the primary school will beat everything else.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

It probably does work like that in practice, but the wording is ambiguous and looking at the admissions criteria for Redbridge and Seven Kings, being at the school already isn’t listed in the over subscription priority order.

I know there are some folk so viciously opposed to grammar school in principle they would feel that anything that undermines them (such as “unfair” admission policies) as justified.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

If it's not listed in the admissions criteria it must be because they view it the same as going from Y5 to Y6. So in that case I would presume that even if you fill out a CAF and don't name it and don't get any other place, you would still be entitled to a place there, but you'd need to check with the admissions authority that that's right. I honestly don't think this has got anything to do with undermining grammar schools. The admissions authorities will just be following whatever regulation is in place in relation to all-through schools.

Really, truly, not everything is about grammar schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now