Age adjustment

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kimmitten

Age adjustment

Post by Kimmitten »

Hi,
My son got 286/280 for his extended writing, I was surprised by this but told it's due to the adjustment for age- but he's December born so not particularly young.
Does anyone know how many marks are added per decreasing month of age roughly? I still can't get my head round it as I thought it equated to only about 1 mark per month but that would mean the maximum he could score above a September born would be 283, so how has he achieved 286?! Anyone know how many marks per month are added?
I think I've read before they won't release raw scores even under the FOI, is that right?
Thanks
scary mum

Re: Age adjustment

Post by scary mum »

No marks are added. The children are only compared with others born in the same month as them to give a standardised score. If all the children born in the different months had the same distribution of s ores there would be no difference in the raw score in relation to the standardised score.
There is an explanation here
scary mum
ToadMum

Re: Age adjustment

Post by ToadMum »

Was the maximum score definitely stated to be 280 (where is this, btw?)? I'm struggling to see how a standardised score (or a raw score, for that matter) can be higher than the maximum. Even if age standardisation is carried out in the way that the CSSE does it - essentially a cculated uplift of a constant for each day younger than a 1st September birthday), the reported maximum standardised score would be whatever the maximum after the application of the formula happened to be, iyswim.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now