Is Grammar always the better choice?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bbten11

Re: Is Grammar always the better choice?

Post by bbten11 »

Hi. My son scored 378 (pass mark 301) but we’ve chosen the local comprehensive school as our first option. Our grammar won’t let you look around so no idea if it’s right for him & the local school are keen to show their school and it has a good reputation. Ultimately it felt like the local school cares more and also DS wants to go there. IMO grammar won’t always be best. Trust your gut! Good luck
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

What an enlightening thread!

We too are in an area where the local comprehensive has a great reputation and a lot more transparency for prospective students. Its really a tempting proposition and will be a much more comfortable commute for DD.

Whilst the local grammars have just had virtual evenings, I did look at their newsletters over the last year or two - what stood out was that the enrichment opportunities were a lot more ambitious. This again is not necessarily a reflection of how good the school might be - but more about industry's desire to associate themselves with grammar schools as fertile ground for future talent. For example, I noticed that they had a leading chambers come in to talk about becoming a barrister. Also, some leading authors talking to the girls about becoming an writer. My worry with comprehensives is if they encourage their students to aim high, or instead target enrichment opportunities that may appeal to most.
jxp

Post by jxp »

Whether something is best for someone is difficult to answer as you can't evaluate all possible options.

In some counties comprehensive schools are good, in some there are no grammar/selective schools at all.

Based on my friends' kids who went to well known GS, I observed following trends.

[1] As all kids who qualify highly competitive exams are very bright, kids who thought they are brighter than others in their primary schools discover they are often placed in set 3 or set 4 just because they scored 1% less in exams. This often led to psychological depressions.

[2] The pressure is so high (some GS will kick you out if your performance falls) that their social/emotional development skills suffer because they can't concentrate on anything other than studies.

But it is not that everyone faces same problem. Bottom line is one can have a rewarding life even if not attending GS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now