Orpington applying for Weald of Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mummato2

Orpington applying for Weald of Kent

Post by Mummato2 »

Is there anyone who lives within the BR6 or BR6 postcodes that are going to be applying for Weald of Kent grammar school for their daughter?

My daughter will be the only one from her school applying and although I know we will most likely need to be on a waiting list, it would be lovely to hear from fellow people also setting out on the journey for a place
MARC1

Re: Orpington applying for Weald of Kent

Post by MARC1 »

Not sure how to do this but maybe worth moving to kent region.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Moved to Kent for you
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you search the Kent thread there are other families who've done this in the past and arranged private transport (with the usual caveats about security, insurance etc) to the annexe site.

Looking forward to September 2022 entry, I suspect there will be others who have the school on their list somewhere but won't know if it will be the school they get allocated, so it is hard to plan for until after offer day, and as you say, maybe even after re-allocation depending on how far out Weald comes. I suspect you may get some replies now, but more likely after 1st March.

I know a number of families who have girls in Y8 or Y9 and who love the school and are thriving. Ironically it seems more time consuming to get to the annexe than those who have girls who go further out to Tonbridge.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

A handful of my daughter's friends started at WoK in Sept 2021. We are in BR6. They got their offers in July 2021 (one was in the last wk of year 6 term) having put the school as their first choice but being offered local non-selective schools on offer day. They are all at the Tonbridge site as (totally anecdotally) I believe the Sevenoaks site only came out to just over 2.5 miles this year. However as said above the Tonbridge site is actually more easy and direct if you can get to Orpington station easily and no problems with missed buses or after school activities.

I understand (again just word of mouth) that the private bus to WoK Sevenoaks site was full as at the beginning of the Sept 2021 term. That situation was presumably not helped by a new cohort of boys going to the TWGSB Sevenoaks site. I know a couple of boys from BR6 who get a public bus from the High St as a result.

There are a lot of kids going to the Tonbridge/ TW schools from Orpington station on the 7.20/ 7.40am train so there are plenty of people to travel with. Regarding there being no others she knows going to the school, you may be surprised: IIRC presuming the child passed the test, you can add them to a Kent waiting list at any point after offer day, so there are a lot of changes in the run up to September as people reconsider their options. And as I said, all the kids I know going to WoK in Sept 2021 assumed they were off elsewhere until July 2021.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now