QE vs St.Olaves Oxbridge Intake

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
VKG

QE vs St.Olaves Oxbridge Intake

Post by VKG »

Hi, I understand that QE boys is number 1 state grammar school in UK Academic wise, but just wanted to know about the Oxbridge intake vs the St. Olaves . Few questions below -

1) which of these has higher intake of Oxbridge
2) which of these has Better extracurricular activities and sports ?
3) which of these has a Tougher exam ? i.e which one is more difficult to get into ?

Is it true that St.Olaves is the favourite school of choice for most of the British Politicians ?

Many Thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: QE vs St.Olaves Oxbridge Intake

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hi, I don’t have answers but DD has friends with brothers at Olaves who have thrived. Some came over to Newstead for sixth form and vice versa. Some moved from private schools or comprehensives or other grammars to the sixth form. Bear in mind there is a lot of switching at sixth form so both select highly capable students at 16, not necessarily their own Y7 intake.

Olaves were criticised in a recent review of their admissions as they have an exam for external sixth form students so if that changes and how any change might affect their selection of capable students is anyone’s guess.

Also Oxbridge isn’t always the best indicator, as they don’t do all courses and it may not be the best fit for all students.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Is it true that St.Olaves is the favourite school of choice for most of the British Politicians ?
I have never heard that, but I really think that it is irrelevant to choosing a school.
There is unlikely to be any difference in outcomes for a bright child between 2 very good schools. The results from selective schools are largely down to the fact that they select in the first place - if you choose the top 1%, or whatever of children who are good at exams at 10 years old, they are likely to do well in GCSEs & A levels.
I would choose the school based on ease of travel, minimum disruption to the family (what if you moved and the child was unhappy at the chosen school & felt guilty because the whole family had been uprooted?), and possibly the child's interests, either academic, sporting or other extra curricular.
The Oxbridge intakes could switch in the next 7 years, or your child might not be interested in going to one of those universities.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

In all honesty these questions are very odd: they do not matter.

What you should be asking is:

1) can my child get to this school easily and quickly, ideally without needing a parent to drive them?
2) Will this school and its facilities suit my child’s personality and interests?
3) will my child be happy and settled here?

if those three are “yes” then you should put the school at number 1 on your CAF form.

Oxbridge passes just tell you about different children in the past.
Politicians’ children attending are not a marker of status!
what matters is YOUR child and whether this is the right school for them.
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

VKG wrote:Is it true that St.Olaves is the favourite school of choice for most of the British Politicians ?
For what its worth, here is a recent analysis from the Sutton Trust on the schools and universities that the current Cabinet comes from.

https://www.suttontrust.com/our-researc ... ysis-2021/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Upset Dad wrote:
VKG wrote:Is it true that St.Olaves is the favourite school of choice for most of the British Politicians ?
For what its worth, here is a recent analysis from the Sutton Trust on the schools and universities that the current Cabinet comes from.

https://www.suttontrust.com/our-researc ... ysis-2021/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tbf, that's where they went themselves, not where they send their own DC. (It would be a bit creepy if the Sutton Trust, or any other organisation, decided to publish a list of the schools attended by the children of Cabinet members, I think?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now