Question on Stamina

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OverEagerDad

Question on Stamina

Post by OverEagerDad »

Hi Everyone.

Can I ask what the consensus on the right time to work on Stamina is? We’ve been doing 10 min tests and all good, but I tried two today on the bounce and DD was starting to flag.

Also is it just a case of building up and up or is there a super secret Jedi training technique?

Ta
OED
Sorrel

Re: Question on Stamina

Post by Sorrel »

How old/ what year is your daughter now? I guess just keep on doing it and it'll get easier, but it depends whether you need to at this stage.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Keeping focus is something that needs to be built up, but on the foundations of confidence that the 10 minute tests often create are so important - so you are starting the right way.

As Sorrel says, it depends on age of the child or what else they are used to focusing on for any length of time.

It is easy for a child's energy and enthusiasm to flag if a 'blinder' type question pops up so it is technique that needs to be taught for longer tests too - to help them move on and identify which questions they are struggling with and move on and not get caught up for half an hour on one question to the detriment of all others after it.

Get used to a bottle of water on the table too and juggling water, question sheet, answer sheet and working out paper, it is all a skill in making the most of the space and time and staying hydrated.

Don't fixate, if you have a long period of time then one long test every few months is fine (or was in our experience), gradually building up. Mock tests are also helpful in my experience as you get the hub-bub of a hall with other children, some of whom may be sobbing their guts out (sadly) but mustn't be a distraction.

If you have the option of a reward like being able to watch their favourite film, going to the trampoline park or a treat after a rather long test, that helps with the focus (or at least did for my daughter!).
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Ta all, we are in Y5 so taking the test this year
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

Sounds like you're on the right track....we did short timed exercises then built up to longer ones...until we did a full paper...before doing the 2 back to back....we only did that a couple of times (and it included a mock exam). I think by May June time we were doing a paper.

Don't try to go too fast otherwise you risk burnout by the time September comes....

Also important to learn technique to move on if stuck and get points elsewhere....
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

I failed completely at trying to build up stamina at home. Never got beyond a ten-minute test! After weeks of battling I gave up and relied upon kiddo to get by on adrenaline on Test Day. That said, I did make her two three mock tests (spread out over 6 months) so she at least knew what to expect. Obviously this isn't ideal but I just wanted to put your mind to rest that it's not the end of the world if you don't get far with it at home. And at least there was no burn-out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now