during the rest of Year 6?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lizmcp

during the rest of Year 6?

Post by lizmcp »

My daughter has got into a super selective (top 180 are automatically eligible) so we know for sure where she's going. I've been trying to keep up with some additional work throughout Year 6, so she's not behind the others when she starts Year 7, but she's getting worn out and I'm getting to the point where it's not worth the conflict. What do other people do at this point, when they know they've got the school they want, and have to weigh up continuing effort vs. having a happy child?
bridge

Re: during the rest of Year 6?

Post by bridge »

2 children both into "Super Selectives" which happen to be our local schools. We did no extra work. So they could do what they liked to a point but I did insist on reading. Y7 is really just a revision year so I wouldn't worry too much.
lizmcp

Post by lizmcp »

Oh good, thanks for that. I just feel as though she's already lost some knowledge since Sept/Oct when the exams were, but I suppose most of them are just taking a bit of a break now.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

my two were at indie primaries and having got into GS they did what ever they wanted in year 6 - they had a lovely year at school with plenty of other activities, certainly no extra academic work
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Just carry on, they have got into the school. No need for extra work. Let them enjoy tgeir last year in primary.
It’s a good year, lots more still to learn. A rite of passage as they become the ‘big ones’.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

We're doing bog all worthy stuff (and I really do mean BOG ALL) to wind down after the 11 plus madness/exhaustion. My teacher mates tell me it's better to be refreshed and have a well-earned break etc. We didn't need much convincing!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We totally bailed for last term of Y6 and home educated DD. It was the best thing for her as she was miserable at school due to bullying. Looking back that time really set her up to do self-learning that helped during lockdown and with homework discipline (she was in lockdown for part of Y10 and 11). She loves her grammar, now Y12. It would have been very different if she had ties to the old school and wanted to do a lot of the end of term things but she really didn't!
lizmcp

Post by lizmcp »

Thanks for the responses. She absolutely loves her primary school, so no issues with any of that. Sounds like the best thing is just to let her enjoy the rest of her time there, and she can get back to the hard work in September.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

am sure they'll have a lovely time together - they are the oldest in the school and often get to be treated as grown-ups
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

hermanmunster wrote:am sure they'll have a lovely time together - they are the oldest in the school and often get to be treated as grown-ups
Exactly!
In our school we do a buddy system with Reception. Each new child had ‘their’ year 6 to show them round the school, look out for them at lunchtime and they read stories together.

The small privileges like sitting on the benches for assembly are something they look forward to for ages. After Sats there were plays, the “Big Trip” leavers assembly (which they wrote and planned) and the school production to look forward to.
We used to have a campfire and pizza evening during the last half term too and a visit to the beach followed by bowling.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now