Homework - online platforms?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Choppy

Homework - online platforms?

Post by Choppy »

Hi all,
My girl passed the 11+, yippee! but she's worrying like mad about homework. Do grammar schools use online platforms these days? Her particular panic is that she might not write it down correctly/miss something at the end of the lesson, and then get into trouble. Do all secondary schools use online platforms where the task instructions are uploaded?
TIA
PerpetualStudent

Re: Homework - online platforms?

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Choppy,

DD used to have exactly this problem with writing down homework instructions but mostly because of her dyspraxia. Homework diaries were no help and there was rarely any recognition of DD’s SEN in this regard. I encouraged DD to check homework requirements with her teachers as she occasionally got in trouble when information supplied by classmates was wrong. We were very grateful when the school moved to an online system which solved this problem. I can’t say whether all grammar schools do this but it is certainly the trend. However I’m sure there will be some teachers who are uncomfortable with the online system and still do things the old way. That was DD’s experience anyway.

It is natural for your DD to worry about the unknown and coping with a big change. If your DD has a SEN do raise this with the school SENCO so the your DD is properly supported. But I think induction to her new school with help her feel more confident that she will be able to cope. Especially when she is with her new classmates going through it all together.

Good luck,
PS
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Oh, thank you PS! You are very kind. I remember the stress of it from my days at GS in the 80s. Sounds like a conversation with the SENCo might be in order. Thanks again for such a kind and prompt response.
Shazbot79

Post by Shazbot79 »

The Wirral grammar schools use an online platform for homework. The boys school uses Sims and both myself and my son have an account. It's really useful as it means I can keep an eye on things too as he's still not the most organised :lol: some assignments are put on Teams for them too but on the whole it's a good system. I was worried about the homework situation too as I doubt he'd have remembered it all
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

My DD goes to a Gloucestershire grammar (SHS) & they use class charts. We both have an account & I can see house points, homework, report absence and her timetable through it.

I suspect a lot of schools moved to online homework tools during Covid.

HTH
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now