Sutton Mocks - multiple choice format

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
daft vading

Sutton Mocks - multiple choice format

Post by daft vading »

DD is sitting her first Sutton Mock (Test A) at the end of the month, with Test B at the beginning of August.

I am questioning the point of putting her through these, as all our top target schools are all standard written format for both maths and English.

MCQ is a very different strategy. Currently we are spending a lot of time helping DD formulate her answers concisely and elegantly, and making sure she is hitting all the points, which is a very different skill set to selecting the most probable answer out of two very likely answers!
    ToadMum

Re: Sutton Mocks - multiple choice format

Post by ToadMum »

daft vading wrote:
      DD is sitting her first Sutton Mock (Test A) at the end of the month, with Test B at the beginning of August.

I am questioning the point of putting her through these, as all our top target schools are all standard written format for both maths and English.

MCQ is a very different strategy. Currently we are spending a lot of time helping DD formulate her answers concisely and elegantly, and making sure she is hitting all the points, which is a very different skill set to selecting the most probable answer out of two very likely answers!
      This might be a silly question, but if you don't think there is any point in her doing the Sutton Mocks, why enter her for them in the first place?
      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
      mad?

Post by mad? »

I think the main benefit of a mock in this instance is so that DD can experience the 'exam' situation - with ghastly braying parents in the queue et al. If you think this is not something that will phase her then indeed probably a wasted morning.
      mad?
      lizmcp

Post by lizmcp »

My daughter did another 11+ ahead of the "real" test for the school we wanted. It was a few days before and I am so glad we did it that way, so she went into the important one with confidence. Actually, it probably helped me more.

[It was the Wirral, with Liverpool Blue Coat the school we wanted - which she did get. I'll probably have DD2 do the Wirral and Trafford ones if there's no conflict, again just for practice/experience.]
      daft vading

Post by daft vading »

ToadMum wrote:
      daft vading wrote:

This might be a silly question, but if you don't think there is any point in her doing the Sutton Mocks, why enter her for them in the first place?
        Swept along with the tide, ToadMum.

Our tutor recommended DD sit it, and only after having booked it, I’ve come to question it’s usefulness. Tutor is of the view that since a sizeable cohort will sit this mock in particular (circa 3000 I hear), that it is useful to know where DD ranks- but even this info I’m not sure will be helpful either. Unless you’re at the top end, the ranking could just be very demoralising!

Knowing where the gaps are that need work will of course be useful. But given the MCQ format, it may just throw up red herrings.

Can anyone with previous experience of the Sutton mock share their thoughts? Are their any reputable mock providers that offer the standard written format?
        daft vading

Post by daft vading »

*there
        scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sitting other schools' tests as mocks costs the schools money, and in some areas can cost local children their places, even if the children using them as mocks don't apply, so I really wouldn't encourage this.
        scary mum
        daft vading

Post by daft vading »

scary mum wrote:Sitting other schools' tests as mocks costs the schools money, and in some areas can cost local children their places, even if the children using them as mocks don't apply, so I really wouldn't encourage this.
        No- the one DD is sitting is a paid for commercial mock, run by SGS PTA Mock Tests. It’s a hall-based mock test on the premises of Sutton Grammar School, but not for entry to the school.
        daft vading

Post by daft vading »

All the dates for 2022 are sold out, so clearly a very popular mock. Maybe I am a lone voice with my doubts!
        Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You can sell it back to them if you don't want it. They will put it back on the list and it will be snapped up by someone who will be very grateful for it. DG
        11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now