How to compare a level results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
seekinfok

How to compare a level results

Post by seekinfok »

I am looking for guidance on how parents compare results between two secondary schools from the https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website.

In particular, I am interested in knowing how many A-level kids scored A** results. Also, would it be possible to compare with another school? For example, a school could have 25 pupils scoring an A** and a school like 35. I don't know if the website shows how many pupils went to get a university degree in medicine, computer school, law, etc.
ToadMum

Re: How to compare a level results

Post by ToadMum »

Not sure what you mean by 'Computer school'?

Do you literally mean 'more A*s' (no 'A**' grade) - so a school with 35 getting an A* - or do you mean 'all A*s'? - will obviously be a better one than one where only 25 did, even if the first has 300 in year 13 and the second 120? Or '35%' vs '25%'? Which would make more sense, sort of, assuming that you were controlling for both minimum entry requirements at year 12 and actual GCSE attainment of entrants, of course.

And no, I don't think there is anywhere comparing how many students at given schools both decide to apply for and are successful in obtaining a place to study specific subjects at university (and a decent school will encourage its students to consider a wide range of options for post-18 study and make decisions based on their own strengths, interests and future employment intentions); you would probably have to look at the leavers' destinations for the schools that interest you.

Be aware, though, that in state schools, at least, entry at 11 is entry for a maximum of years 7 - 11; year 12 is a separate point of entry, for which schools are free to set their own admissions criteria. Even QE in Barnet, which, uniquely as far as I am aware, allows no external entrants at that stage, sets admissions criteria for the 6th form, which not all year 11 already in the school will meet. So be careful of just looking at a school's A level results and going 'Wow, I want my DC to go there!', without taking into account what the sixth form entry criteria are.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agree with @toadmum - also have to consider whether a school allows pupils to do they A levels they want or whether they are "encouraged" to do what the school wants? Within reason a pupil should be able to do the subjects they want even is they are not going to get an A* (or even an A)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DDs old school hasn’t even published A level results for the last two years due to Covid. They take quite a lot of extra girls in sixth form.

If you are considering schools for sixth form it’s useful info. If you are considering schools for year 7 I think it’s pointless looking at A level results that closely, lots can happen in 5/6 years.
seekinfok

Post by seekinfok »

All - thank you for your responses.

I should have asked a simple question - how do you compare two secondary state schools academically. I don't think I will find my answer.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

seekinfok wrote:All - thank you for your responses.

I should have asked a simple question - how do you compare two secondary state schools academically. I don't think I will find my answer.
the simplest questions are always the most difficult! ideally you need to send a matched group of children to each school, wait 7 years and see what happens. Of course matching them is only the start of the problem
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Sorry - edited as was linking to site I see you have in your first post
solimum

Post by solimum »

hermanmunster wrote: ideally you need to send a matched group of children to each school, wait 7 years and see what happens. Of course matching them is only the start of the problem
Easy! You just need 240 sets of identical twins in the same year group.....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

solimum wrote:
hermanmunster wrote: ideally you need to send a matched group of children to each school, wait 7 years and see what happens. Of course matching them is only the start of the problem
Easy! You just need 240 sets of identical twins in the same year group.....
:lol: :lol: