Assessing our DD

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Thanks for all the responses so far.

What's a CAT? Never heard of one of those! DD is in an independent school right now (theory being that a good start may help her get into a decent state secondary school!) and so doesn't perhaps do as many SATs as they do in the state sector.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

CATs are Cognitive Ability Tests - similar to many of the 11+ tests.

Consist of Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative. They are externally marked and compared to the rest of the population(?).

My children did them in an independent school in Yr 5 and my son did them again in Yr 7 at a state grammar.
katel

Post by katel »

Out of interest, is anyone prepared to share their child's CAT scores? My dd's were 131 Verbal, 111 Quantitive and 123 Non-Verbal at the beginning of year 7. As I said she is doing well in about the middle of her form.

BarnetDad - what sort of maths is your daughter doing now and do you know the curriculum for next year? Any algebra for example?
mum3

Post by mum3 »

I genuinely don't know what my son got in his CAT tests in Yr 7. We werent given the results (no surprise there) but I suppose they might at the end of the year. I was given some results by the teacher for some he did in Yr 4 or 5. (can't remember now) as she was pretty pro-grammar school (her son attends same grammar school) and she offered to show me, and they weren't that brilliant...can't remember exactly what but certainly not top of the scale, above average but not hugely so. But he did end up with 3 X 5s at end of Yr 6, and into the 'super selective' school, so he probably matured in the last year or so (fortunately!). I still maintain that those with 4,4,5 for instance would still be absolutely fine at agrammar school, it is just the oversubscription that leads to the higher scoring children getting the places if you see what I mean!
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Well, I'd say that they ARE doing algebra-like exercises but certainly not aware of the term "algebra" and possibly slightly "dumbed-down" to avoid the use of x's and y's!

Bear in mind that she's still in Yr4. They've been doing fractions and decimals etc.

They've been working through Schofield & Sims Book 3 Mental Arithmetic (if that means anything to you!)

I wonder if DIY CAT tests are available? Must have a Google...
katel

Post by katel »

BarnetDad - don't quote me, but I reckon if she's doing decimals and fractions in year 4, then she's well on track.

Why not get a set of test papers and see how far away she is. If she's good at the NVR that's a big bonus. A lot of children seem to find the Verbal reasoning - especially the codes - a bit of a hurdle, but they really do just take practice. My dd found them competely baffling for a while, then suddenly had an "Ahah!" moment and could then do them.

I don't think (I may be alone on this forum in this) that coaching is necessary. I do think, however, that practice is.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Glos_Mum wrote:NPR 99, 99 and 97
Good results. No wonder you are in this forum!

So that's the top 1% of candidates. Far better results than the minimum that would be expected to get into Grammar.

:lol:

As far as the original poster is concerned the point was that it is not a pre-requsite to be in the top 1% to get a grammar place; Top 20% or maybe Top 10% might be enough.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
KB

Post by KB »

In reponse to question about 'coaching' as apposed to 'practice' I think its quite a fine line. If children are doing practice then one tends to go through problems with them anyway.
If you mean difference between DIY and professional then I think it depends on how much time the parent has to find out what practice is appropriate and to work through it with child and also whether the child will work for a parent - parent/child relationship may survive better if a third party is making them practice :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »