Kent

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
karen

Kent

Post by karen »

Hi,

I live in Sussex but am thinking of applying at a place for my son at a Kent grammar school. My son has just gone into year six, and if we go wgead he would sit the eleven plus in January. I have a couple of questions and wonder if anyone can help...

My son is a good all-rounder academically and is consistently at the top of his class. He has a love and enthusiasm for learning, and is strong in the basics - maths, literacy and science. In year five he was assessed as being a secure level 5 on the national curriculum. Am I doing the right thing in considering a grammar school for him?

Secondly, has anyone any specific advice about the Kent eleven plus, pass marks, structure of papers etc. I'm brand new to all of this and don't know where to start :oops:

Thanks to anyone who replies!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dar Karen

I am not expert on Kent, your son 'sounds' as if he would be a good grammar school candidate. Can you approach your sons school to ask their views?

There is a section further down the forums front page which is Kent specific, take a look, you may find some good advice.

Good Luck

Patricia
ANDREW THE POET

Start Now

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Karen
I think the consensus is that the 11+ is nearly as much about technique as it is about ability. Don't do as I did and leave everything until the last moment. Start with those familiarisation programmes, books, cds etc. They're all on this site - including information on the types of questions asked. Don't tow the likely primary school's line that he'll be 'fine'. There is an 'art' to 11+ in itself!
Good Luck
Andrew
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now