11 PLUS 2009 - Who's who?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fi

Post by fi »

Hi, am I too late? DS sits the test in Sept. We did some practise in the Easter holidays then nothing until now- well will start tomorrow! DS is very laid back and says he will do it carefully on the day but that doesn't do much for my nerves! We live next door to the grammar school and so it would be very handy if he went there.
Fi
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Thanks for your answers - sounds like bribery is the way to go.

I'm also wondering what is the best thing to concentrate on - we only have 2 weeks left of holiday as we will be away for a bit. When he goes back to school I suspect he will have homework to do - but not necessarily anything very useful in terms of the 11+. Then there will only be 2 weeks before the big day!

I'm working through papers with him looking for the quick methods and also 'egging him on' through papers (ie "do the next one, now the next one "etc) - that seems to help as it stops him dreaming inbetween questions and I think he is getting the feel of how fast he has to go.
I'm going to get him to do a full set of timed papers next week - hopefully we should see and improvement!

Sharon
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

not that I am suggesting this normally - but adnormal situation. Would seriously think of completing any homework set -which is not Maths related- yourself(avoids conflict with school) and getting ds to do papers!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I must admit that idea has crossed my mind too - only i think they may realise it's not my son's handwriting!

I am thinking of chopping all the papers into little bits (not literally) and getting him to do, say 10mins worth each evening.

The Kent 11+ will be on a Saturday morning with the practice the week before - he won't be doing any homework those 2 week ends.

He has just come back from camp ( he went on Saturday) so is shattered - I'm wondering if it is worth getting him to do any work tomorrow, or whether it will backfire as he is so tired.

Poor kid - he is only 10 - I hate making him spend his holidays working when I know how hard he has worked at school all year.

Sharon
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

2childmum wrote: He has just come back from camp ( he went on Saturday) so is shattered - I'm wondering if it is worth getting him to do any work tomorrow, or whether it will backfire as he is so tired.
That will definitely backfire - and I speak from great experience. He will still be full of everything he did at camp, and mentally half of him will still be ON camp!

Give him a day or two to "chill out", and then try the bribery approach.

S-A
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

~waves ~

hello!!

I am sending my no.1 Daughter for Sutton coldfield girls school, in september, she isn't that bothered but the knowledge that her sister who is a year younger wants it desperately is spurring her on!

liesa
x
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hi my daughter sits her 11+ on 20th and 27 September - ahh!! think she is there on the VR but the NVR is boarderline for her at the moment. She is back to school tomorrow and they have told us it will be all 11+ for the next 2 weeks so hopefully they will be able to put her right on the question types that still confuse her!
She really wants to go to the local girls grammar so fingers crossed - we don't have too long to wait for the results though so at least thats something!
nice to meet you all - keep in touch x
One Down

Post by One Down »

Anyone else feeling a little twitchy now with two weeks to go? I've been pretty laid-back about it until now but the return to school has made it seem real, finally. It seems too soon after the beginning of term. Still, everybody's in the same boat......and it does get it over and done with and Christmas is revision free!

However, this change does seem to have encouraged quite a number of parents to let their child 'have a go', regardless of ability, and the effect possible failure may have on the child. Has anyone else come across this?And does this mean the cohort may be larger this year?
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I am feeling really twitchy but trying hard not to let DD1 know. In some ways I wish it was over and done with (partly so I did not have to sit and overload my poor maths-deficient brain - how did I ever pass?!) but in other ways I just we had more time. DD1 is still slow but hoping everyoe else will be slow too as they are all so much younger.

My children's school is one of the nearest to teh grammar schools in Tunbridge Wells and I know about 15 children at her school (out of a year group of 96) who are taking the 11+ who otherwise would have opted for Bennett. As by definition all teh children at this school taking the 11+ live on teh doorstep of the grammars (and correct me if I am wrong but boys' grammar is catchment too like the girls' grammar isn't it?), I would have thought the effect would be to shrink the catchment area even more. Last year I think it was a smidgeon over two miles for TWGGS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now