11 PLUS 2009 - Who's who?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newby11+er

Post by newby11+er »

DS will be taking test this year. However as we live on border of Kent and Medway we are looking at taking both tests!! :?
We only have one Kent school near us - Gravesend - However there are two in Medway which are nearish too! Problem is DS will probably find Kent test easier than Medway as Medway relies heavily on the essay part which is DSs weakest subject (Kent essay only used for appeal).
DS taking it well so far - just been looking at examples of questions together and how to work out answers and have been collecting papers for him to try during hols. (obviously no help from the school!)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Guest55 - CRGS has another intake in Year 9 so I wouldn't suggest taking away a place from a Year 7 boy when he sat it.

Who is going to tutor? I'm not going to bother because it is too much hassle and my son is at boarding school so there wouldn't be any opportunity anyway. For those who know my son, if he didn't pass then it proves that the whole system is wrong and to get into grammar school you need to be coached! :( But, I'm not criticising anyone for tutoring, as we all must do what we can to secure a good school for our kids, and I would probably tutor my second child as he isn't as bright.
wardie

Post by wardie »

Hi Everone,

I have a son in year 5 and due to take 11+ in Sept. We are not looking at the super-selectives (I am quite realistic) just hoping for a PASS.

We have been practicing with IPS for VR , Bond for NVR and a combination of IPS and Bond for Maths. My son likes to study in short bursts therefore we have found the daily practice from IPS and the 10 mins from Bond very handy.

We have done some full length nfer and plan on doing one per week through the hols and about 20 min per day of the shorter ones.

I am so glad I have found this site as hubby is fed up with my obsessing/paranoia about the 11+. It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one.

Good luck to everyone on this exciting/anxious journey.

Love
Wardie xx
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I am delighted to meet any parents who consider themselves as obsessive! I was so paranoid that I was the only obsessive one around. :D

I live in hounslow - which doesn't boast a single grammar school :cry:
so i am surrounded by either parents who are going to opt for private, or parents who are happy with whats on offer in their local catchment.

When i registered with this wonderful website - i thought that the 2008 11+ parents have probably left now, and we are going to get the new 2009 crowd in the summer - i didn't know there were so many of us here already!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

JaysDarlin - I have known quite a few people from Hounslow who have opted to move out to bucks and send their kids to challoners. Is your child at state primary just now?
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi everyone,
My dd2 is taking the 11+ in September - hoping to join her sister at Kent Grammar so she only has to pass (! - if only it were that easy :lol: )

Wardie-we've been working with pretty much the same materials as yourself, having only dicovered the excellent IPS papers this time round through this great site. My husband also declared me an '11+ nerd' for pointing out that a maths question for a six-yr-old on 'Are you smarter than a 10yr old' was actually part of the yr 6 curriculum, so you're among friends! Last time, I blundered through pretty much blindfold, but this time, with the help of the people on this site, I feel I know a lot more (for better or worse!)
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Jazzteddy!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello everyone

Yes I too am in the 'obsessive club' although I haveto say I am more laid back this time round then I was the last time.

My year five dd will sit the Bucks 11+ in October.

I am, thanks to this site much more informed then I was when ds took the test three years ago but I guess as the time draws nearer I am sure I will be part of the crazy gang again!!

Happy Days

:P

Mel
Alex

Post by Alex »

I have the dubious pleasure of going through it all again for the third time - what's more there are two of them taking it this year. They did the practice tests on Saturday. The real ones are in September. Unfortunately they seem to be finding it a bit harder going than the older ones and one is much more confident than the other.