Struggling at GS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moose

Struggling at GS

Post by moose »

Are there any parents, who experienced their kids to struggle at GS? How do the schools deal with that? How do the kids cope psychologically.
My son is starting GS in Sept and I am in two minds whether my decision to send him there was good. Too late now! He always does the absolute minimum and is totally careless with his spellings and work in general.
His school report was not impressive. He received GOOD marks in all subjects even in the ones he used to be very good at, like maths or science :shock: (by the way he always used to get V good marks in everything except English)
I know that school esp in Y6 completly failed to motivate him and it might have influenced his marks however I am starting having doubts about my choice.
Any opinions welcome.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I think it depends on the school. Some are good at motivating "lazy" boys and some won't tolerate it.
My friends son goes to Finchley Catholic and they did a fantastic job of sorting his attitude out and he is now doing really well. My friend was pulling her hair out over constantly nagging him to do homework etc.
I think at a school like QE Boy's which is highly selective you are expected to be highly motivated and if you don't work hard you will be in bottom sets for everything which would probably be quite demoralising.
My Ds is exactly the same as yours ( although obviously not as bright cos he didn't pass the QE exams) and has to be constantly reminded to do homework, organise his schoolbag etc, although once he knuckles down to it he enjoys it and always gets good marks.
If he had got in to QE Boy's or Habs I think our house would have been a battleground with me nagging for England!
I also think that they are going to have a big shock when they realise they are not the brightest boys in their class anymore.
moose

Post by moose »

Hmm.. . I suppose we have to wait and see. I must say that after all the effort I put into preparing him for QE I am not prepared to nag him at the same level anymore. I sort of feel that I have done my job.
Must say though that in his primary it did not matter much if you did well or not. The marking system was very unclear and competition was not encouraged. I secretly hope that competitive environment might be beneficial for him and he might at least find himself in the higher sets in subjects he is good at, like ...PE :lol: . Sorry! Also maths and science.
Zorro ,
Which school is yr boy in?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Do you mean at the moment or where he's going in Sept?
moose

Post by moose »

In Sept.
zorro

Post by zorro »

He's going to Aldenham School in Elstree.
moose

Post by moose »

Good luck to him.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks!
Hope your DS enjoys QE - he's done well to get in so remind him ot that regularly and I'm sure he will make you proud.
By the way - the blazer is a bit pricey isn't it.
We have to go and get DS's in August. Think DH will need a sedative!
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

fm

Post by fm »

You will probably not appreciate my comment but if he has gained entry on the back of extensive help from you, I'm not sure it is then especially fair to remove that help. As a tutor, I tell my parents that the children gaining entry to a highly selective school is the beginning of the journey and not the end.

That said, provided you have realistic expectations of him then there is no reason why he shouldn't do fine and not need masses of help. Yes, I have heard of children being tutored after they go to the grammar school but that is not always because the child is actually struggling. It is often the case of parents who cannot accept their child is no longer on the top of the pile and keep striving for this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now