What if my daughter doesn't want her place?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

liesauk

Post by liesauk »

kes parent, thanks for the advice, was typing as you posted!!

I only worry because although we are within distance of Plantsbrook, which is a decent enough Comp, we live 0.2miles closer to college high. Which is by all accounts a terrible comp with a terrible reputation. Hence my idea that she should try for the grammar school. but I will be happy if she gets into plantsbrook.

as an experienced person on here. Can I ask you a question?

If she doesn't pass the 11+ (for which she sits the test in October and I pressume the LEA will know the outcome before they start giving places)
will the LEA just ignore Sutton Girls as the first choice and move straight on to consider her for Plantsbrook? Or will it be seen that she didnt want that school as much therefore she takes a backseat to other children?

liesa
x :D
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

liesauk wrote:thanks Guest.
I did it online, so I just went back and altered it. It did say for my changes to take effect that I would need to resubmit, so I pressume that means I am allowed to change my mind.

I have put Sutton Girls school as her first choice and then I have put Plantsbrook, Fairfax etc... I just hope that they allow the change.

I have also explained to my daughter what it means to have the grammar school preference as first as she got a bit worried about me changing it all around.

I think I worry about this whole process more than the kids do!! :shock:

thanks again for all the help and I shall be here for a few more years as I have one going up to year 6, one going to year 5 and one to year 3!!

liesa
xx
That sounds fine, you are incredibly lucky to live near all these good schools.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

liesauk wrote:kes parent, thanks for the advice, was typing as you posted!!

I only worry because although we are within distance of Plantsbrook, which is a decent enough Comp, we live 0.2miles closer to college high. Which is by all accounts a terrible comp with a terrible reputation. Hence my idea that she should try for the grammar school. but I will be happy if she gets into plantsbrook.

as an experienced person on here. Can I ask you a question?

If she doesn't pass the 11+ (for which she sits the test in October and I pressume the LEA will know the outcome before they start giving places)
will the LEA just ignore Sutton Girls as the first choice and move straight on to consider her for Plantsbrook? Or will it be seen that she didnt want that school as much therefore she takes a backseat to other children?

liesa
x :D
Yes, the LEA will just move onto her second choice if she doesn't pass the 11+, so you will then be in the same situation as if you had put Plantsbrook first. The school won't know where it came on your preference list, and the LEA just work their way down your list of choices until they come to one she is qualified for. She won't be in any way disadvantaged for admission to Plantsbrook by you putting it second.
Edited to say, please keep her away from College High at all costs!!
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

KES, you have just put my mind at rest. Really and truly.

I have never had to do any of this before, my son didnt get 6 choices and was quite happy to go through school in great barr. I really don't mind where she goes in Sutton Coldfield, I just want her to be happy and do as best as she can. It would be nice for her to get into Sutton Girls but I won't be crying buckets if she doesnt. I think I will only be crying if she doesn't get any of her choices and they throw her into College.

Thanks again KES, you really have helped me feel 100% better today.

liesa
xx
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

liesauk wrote:KES, you have just put my mind at rest. Really and truly.

I have never had to do any of this before, my son didnt get 6 choices and was quite happy to go through school in great barr. I really don't mind where she goes in Sutton Coldfield, I just want her to be happy and do as best as she can. It would be nice for her to get into Sutton Girls but I won't be crying buckets if she doesnt. I think I will only be crying if she doesn't get any of her choices and they throw her into College.

Thanks again KES, you really have helped me feel 100% better today.

liesa
xx
Good, I am very pleased that we have managed to help out on here! Admissions is an absolute maze the first time but you can't go wrong if you put the schools in the order you actually want them. I expect everyone in your neck of the woods is having kittens in case they don't get any of their choices and get sent to College High.
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

What is horrible is knowing that I live in Sutton coldfield, I have a sutton Coldfield postcode and I may not get into a sutton school because others that live in say Erdington are that little bit closer. But anyway, it really should be that they do something about college High and make it into a school that we are desperate to get to, instead of away from!!

liesa
x
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

liesauk wrote:thanks Guest.
I did it online, so I just went back and altered it. It did say for my changes to take effect that I would need to resubmit, so I pressume that means I am allowed to change my mind.

I have put Sutton Girls school as her first choice and then I have put Plantsbrook, Fairfax etc... I just hope that they allow the change.

I have also explained to my daughter what it means to have the grammar school preference as first as she got a bit worried about me changing it all around.

I think I worry about this whole process more than the kids do!! :shock:

thanks again for all the help and I shall be here for a few more years as I have one going up to year 6, one going to year 5 and one to year 3!!

liesa
xx

You did press the button at the bottom to actually resubmit it didn't you-as just changing the forms isn't enough :)
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

yes :D

I got a new confirmation email detailing the changes that I had made.

liesa
xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now