Untutored?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Tipsy, you are so clever and sensible. I think you have done the just the right thing choosing not to send him to CRGS, it'll be too stressful for you when you don't have time to practise.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Father Corv you are your usual wise self tonight! :wink:
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Tipsy, I can only agree with Ed's Mum here about the rightness of your decision. I have no idea what CRGS is, but if it involves stress it can't be worth it. By the way, are you weighing up Eton against Harrow now, or am I just misreading the letter that isn't E for Eton? At the advanced age of 31 my eyesight is beginning to fail a bit.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks KES Parent! Its actually Eton and Winchester that I need to make the decision for (if they stay in the UK) although the W does look a bit like an H! :)
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I really feel I have missed something here. Tipsy, isn't it your oldest son that has a really high IQ?

And CRGS is a highly selective state grammar school with some kind of 11+ entrance paper (NFER based?)?

I would really be surprised if your son could not pass such an exam and get into CRGS with zero tuition and practice.

I have two relatives who have passed the 11+ fairly recently without any tuition (at home or tutor). This was for grammar schools that merely select the top 25% of the population. I suppose CRGS is highly selective, but nevertheless I can't imagine your son not passing.

Can't he just quickly run through some practice papers, whatever they are for CRGS?

If I were him, I would find it strange to think that I could get into Eton or Winchester, but not the local (?) grammar school. Or to think that you felt that he does not have the ability to get in to the local grammar school without a lot of preparation.

Good luck.

Good luck.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Perplexed.

I think there are many children who could get into GS but because of the coaching that now goes on many who cannot afford or are unaware of tutoring are at a real disadvantage. I don't think my son is disadvantaged in any way but I have to be realistic that these exams are set up in a way which does not show the real potential of a child as factors such as timing, being familiar with the tests etc probably account for much more than it should.

Anyway, my son has moved around a lot and he is happy and the school works for him so I think its best for him to stay there - if its not broke, don't fix it etc... Some of the GS do have an entry for Year 9, when his school ends so I'll see how we are placed then. Anyway its good for me to have made this decision as its now one less school to think about. From a choice of 5, I now have 4 to whittle down to 1 and I hope I do that before 8 months time! :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now