Practise Bond scores to aim at

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anne2

Practise Bond scores to aim at

Post by anne2 »

Hi,
I'm helping my son prepare for the NFER exam with the Bond series. Does anyone know what sort of % scores he should be aiming at on Bond Level 4 or 5 practise papers to get 116 in the real thing ? I know it depends on the other children, age etc, but any rough clues would be welcome - like 70, 80, 90, 99% !?! He is an Autumn birthday..
Thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ann2

Which disciplines does your area/school use. Is it Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning, Maths, English or perhaps a combination.

Patricia
anne2

Post by anne2 »

He's doing verbal and non-verbal for one school, and those two plus Maths for another...
fm

Post by fm »

I think it would depend on the individual school.

In my local school which does NFER, an August child would have to score about 44/50 in the NFER maths test to get 116. Based on children doing the NFER practice tests in my house, I find ones getting 40 to 41 out of 50 in the standard version tend to score about 44 on the day. I can't tell you with the Bond Assessment books because I use these as a homework exercise rather than a test.

To get 116 in the Verbal, they would have to score about 37/45 in our real exam. Children getting consistently around 73 mark in the NFER practice tests would usually get about this.

To get 116 in the non-verbal, they needed 36/40 on the day but can't give you a figure to equate with NFER non-verbal tests because I don't tend to record that.

I imagine, however, this scoring varies with area and the number of children doing the tests and whether it is the top grammar in the area and how easy the particular test is.

I believe our maths test was especially easy last year so more children scored highly so had to have higher score to get a decent standardised mark.

When are your exams? If they are soon, then perhaps you need to switch to test papers rather than the Bond books which are not specific to NFER tests, although I use them in the early stages.
anne2

Post by anne2 »

FM - thanks for all that - very helpful.
His tests are in about 5 or 6 weeks - as there are only 4 NFER papers in each subject I was going to save them to nearer the time, unless you've got any better ideas ? . He did do one NFER in each subject last spring, just to see how he coped, and I think he got around 86-88% for all 3 - however I have absolutely no idea whether this is good or not good.
Everyone else seems to have a tutor - I guess they're paying to take away this sense of insecurity !!
tense

Post by tense »

Anne

What school are you applying for (& what area is it in...). It will make a huge difference!
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Hi Anne

I would like to say if your DS done the nfers papers last spring and got
86-88% last spring that that is very good....I would hazard a guess and say if you have been practicing since then regardless of what type of papers he should be hitting 90%+ easily.

Give him a Nfer paper to see where he is now and what types of questions he needs to practice more on.

Doing all the past Key stage 2 maths papers without a calculator in a shorter time period is good practice for maths...I give my DS key stage 3 3-5 and
4-6 to practice on also. These are freely available on the net.

good luck