Any suggestions on books by Michael Morphurgo

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Josa

Any suggestions on books by Michael Morphurgo

Post by Josa »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest which of the Micheal Morphurgo's books I can get my ds to read as a starter. I've been on his website and there are loads on there, not sure which one to look out for when we make our trip to the local library. Any recommendations / favourites of dc will be greatly appreciated, ds is 9 and in yr4.

Cheers

Josa
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi Josa... my 9 yr old son has just read his new book.. Kaspar in 24 hrs! We took it out from the library on Fri and by Sat afternoon he had read the entire book and I've just now ordered him his own copy after much pestering from him! Can't get a better recommendation than that!

My son also enjoyed The Butterfly Lion, Born to Run, Why the Whales Came, Kensuke's Kingdom. Why not borrow from the library and let him get a feel for the different books before you commit to buying? Just a thought.

Anyway hope this is helpful to you and you son.
Clarendon
Josa

Post by Josa »

Thank you so much Clarendon for responding, will definitely take a trip to the library and see what they have and if not any place an order. Totally agree with you to let him get a feel for the books before commiting to buying.

Many thanks

Josa.
cam

Post by cam »

Some more attractive perhaps, to girls are My Friend Walter, about a girl descended from Walter Raleigh who meets his ghost at the Tower of London - fun not scary. The Wreck of the Zanzibar is set early c20 in the Scilly Isles and has the rebellious Laura at it's centre.
Really it doesn't matter, they're all great and you can sometimes get a set of ten at a reasonable price.
libs

michael morphurgo

Post by libs »

Just the most fantastic author - both my kids love him. Son aged 10 and daughter aged 8 - I do a 'wrecky' myself particularly for daughter, he does pull on the heart strings and some of his books are really aimed at a more mature reader (not necessarily dependant on reading ability)...
For daughter aged 8 she has enjoyed Cool, Torro Torro (mention of bull fighting - but not graphic), Kensukie's Kingdom, The Unicorn - beautiful pictures, Alphodus Tips (Set in WW2, little girl and her cat ) to name but a few. She is reading Olly which is just beautiful and so far less heart wrenching than some... I'd leave 'All alone on a wide, wide sea' and 'Private Peaceful' for a bit... my son and I have read them together and cried together, very moving. Enjoy! You are about to begin a great journey!
P.S We started with a book of his short stories - 'Conkers...'
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi,

My son is also age 9 and loved

Friend or Foe
Cool
Billy the Kid

These are some of MM easier books but definately worth reading (very emotional and good for boys)
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Hi

To second whats already been mentionned - my dd 8 in year 4 - has just got into them and has read Why the Whales came and Butterfly Lion and loved them both - much keener to read these than other authors. Not so with older dd though, who is avid reader, reads lots of great stuff but was never that fussed with Michael Morpugo! Too sad apparently. Thats kids for you :D
Bring me sunshine ....
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Josa - I read Friend or Foe with one of my boys when he was in Year 4 (and a very reluctant reader). It's a great book to read together because it's so thought-provoking. It's about two boys who find two German pilots who've parachuted out of their plane onto the moors (? can't remember which part of the UK it's set in). One of the boys falls into a river and is rescued by one of the pilots who then ask the boys to help them escape to the coast. They face the huge moral dilemma of whether or not to turn them in because they are the enemy, or to help them because they have helped them. It's a great to talk to your child about what they would do in that situation. My son agonised for ages about what to do! He also loved Kenzuke's Kingdom around the same age.

I've also this evening just started re-reading Private Peaceful because the same son is doing it in Y7 English. It's one of the best and most moving books I've ever read, though maybe your son is a little young for it. Interestingly, my eldest son, who reads a huge amount, has never cared much for Michael Morpurgo..
Josa

Post by Josa »

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all your recommendations. DS has started with Billy the Kid and he is absolutely enjoying it, he's decided to take it to school as his reading book as he's bored and fed up with the books from the school library.

Not surprised though that he chose this particular one as his first read been a keen football fan :)

Many thanks

Josa
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi Josa... glad he's got started and is enjoying the book... that's one I couldn't have advised on... my son HATES football!
Clarendon
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now