I've lost my motivation!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaysDarlin

I've lost my motivation!

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi All.

After slogging away, practice, practice, practice, hopefully "peaking" at the correct time, and even having a panic attack the day before the Langley Exam... The exam came and went, then we had a two day break of doing NOTHING.......

Now I cant get back into the swing of things - yet the Tiffin exam is only four weeks away.

Ive totally lost my motivation, don't really know what to do anymore - we are covering NVR a little every day.... thought I would hold back on VR as he is quite good at it, and thought I would come down heavy once we are a fortnight away from the exam.... but there is no adrenaline factor anymore and there is no oomph in the teaching anymore.

We go through flashcards, do a bit of reading, a bit of puzzles, yet at the back of my mind I fear that because we are not doing test papers every day we are not doing enough?

Ds seems to be fully of spirits as usual, Thank God, but I am out of sorts.

Any advice?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have heard that its good to give their brain a few days rest to let all of what they've learnt get digested, so there's no harm. Of course it could be a sign that Tiffin's isn't your first choice if you've lost motivation?
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Rest a little, then get back into it. You both deserve a rest first. But don't forget the end result. It's worth letting the pressure get to you just one last time!
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

I found that after getting my DS and nephew to peak just before their first exam exactly in the same situation with a month to go to the next exam which was completely different , the one was NFER and the other is set by Durham CEM...

Gave the lads a few days rest in which we done fun out door activities.

Then a couple of weeks of all different kinds of building vocab books i could get. English as a second language range are ideal for this because of all the different types of tests in them.. i recommend the intermediate stage ones for help with the eleven plus.

I would still slip in a odd Nfer type practice paper IN VR now and again and a maths and NVR one too, as there are still two Nfer types exams to go.

This was great as there comes a time when it is pointless giving them test after test when they are pretty proficient and scoring high..

The ESL books were used as fun way for them to practice the use of language, and for them to come across words they had not met before...there were no time limits set, just a couple of hourly sessions with a thirty min break.

As they say a change is as good as a rest, the lads really enjoyed it because i let them work together and chat about various questions.

Hoping this was the right approach. Only time will tell if i got it right when the results come in..

Regardless of the results i always tell them of how proud i am of them for their sheer effort and willingness to work with me, and they will be successful whatever schools they get into because they have that work ethic that you need to succeed.

Quizzer
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

quizzer wrote:i recommend the intermediate stage ones for help with the eleven plus.

and they will be successful whatever schools they get into because they have that work ethic that you need to succeed.
Can you recommend any vocab books, Quizzer? I think you've hit the nail on the head - I am doing exactly the same thing - only I'm not quite happy with the vocab books I bought.
NKM wrote:It's worth letting the pressure get to you just one last time!
Thanks for the support guys.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

jaysdarlin

Penguin do a series call 'Test your Vocabulary'..books 1 to 5....have a look

I think you would want books 2 and above..

Anagrams, choice of words in sentences,crosswords etc etc

Hope this helps

Quizzer
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now