advice needed for disillusioned son..

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Would loved to have afforded a tutor for DS as it is very different with your own (I am teacher but never tutored for 11+ so he was a guineapig aswell which really didn't help) personality kicks in big time and like you fm
In fact, at one stage I refused pointblank to tutor her, a stand-off that lasted 3 weeks.
there where occassions when I refused to carry on, this only worked though when he finally got to see the Grammar school and wanted to go there.

Thankfully DS2, who having just got DS1 through I now have to prep for next Nov, has totally different personality and can't wait for the one to one attention he will be getting (I have four of DSs in all).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We didn't have much choice over tutoring; our son needed it anyway to get him re-engaged with maths and back up to speed (very able but not very attentive, had lost track of the curriculum somewhere and given up). It was basically that or write off a whole swathe of obvious career choices (engineering, science, etc.) in later life and it seemed a bit premature to be doing that. 11+ was tacked on as an afterthought at the tutor's suggestion because he thought he had the ability.

Of course the problem now is that our daughter is desperate to have the same opportunity, although there never was a child who was less in need of tutoring.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now