The 2008 model typical 11 plus parent

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My own view is that as tutoring becomes more common the ability of the group is increased, and the difference between the highest raw score and the lowest raw score becomes much smaller.
This therefore means that the range of the population being tested is very small and most (prob 90%) are within a very small distance from the mean or pass mark, if you like.
This will therefore lead to children missing out by as little as 1 actual raw mark and having a ridiculously low reported mark in the test.
Similarly a child getting a ridiculousdly high reported mark in the test might actually only have achieved 1 mark more than the raw pass mark.
However I would take my views with a pinch of salt as I am still trying to come up with reasons why my youngest and brightest child has not passed his 11+ when his 3 older siblings have passed :shock:

I would now advise anyone wanting to give their best chance of success to their child to pay the £2000 and get the tuition.

Rgds,
LFH
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

>>> is that as tutoring becomes more common

Not everyone has the money or inclination.
Animis opibusque parati
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

You migt be right SVE, but from what I am now hearing and seeing, I expect you are in the minority - if the local comprehensive is not good, the cost of tuition is much less than committing to many years of private education, so parents cannot be blamed for doing this to secure a good standard of education for their children.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing :roll:

LFH
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
Derek Curtis BOK
American educator and university president (1930-)

Never has a quote been truer. I do not send my kids to public school, however, I am seriously considering it for my youngest 2.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Well said Ed's mum. We were lucky enough to be able to take our youngest DS out of our local state primary - where he was struggling mainly due to the class size - and put him into a private school. Within six months he had caught up with the rest of the class and in year six gained a place at grammar school. We made the right decision for our DS and have no regrets whatsoever. We simply did what we felt was best for our child. Isn't that what we are all trying to do?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now