Grammar v State Comprehensives

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Footymad,

Read your post and then bottled it couldn't think what to say.

Don't look back and punish yourself for not pushing for the 11+.

Look forward, be positive, try all the options, with your support your child will be successful.

I to remember your humorous and helpful posts last year.

Let us know how it goes, best wishes and positive thoughts.

stevew61
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Patricia,
Thanks for what you said, it brought a tear to my eye xx

Herman, :)
Yes we're in East Lancs, so if my daughter thinks it's worth a shot I might email education office in Skipton to ask about late entry.

Don't think daughter will be keen :? but no harm in asking.

If she does fancy it, she would be in for a very short coaching session with me and big sis! :P

Anyway as Patricia said "Cream rises to the top" and I think that if the worst came to the worst and she goes to failing comp she might just shock us :wink:

Footymad xx.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Steve, :)
Thanks for the positive thoughts and well wishes.

Lovely to hear from you xx.

I know after over a year on this site I'm still addicted to come back from time to time to this caring forum, for updates, help, humour and support off fellow parents!

Footymad xx.

Post by Guest »

I know that at our local grammar, they have had a summer 11+ sitting and then it is up to the headteacher whether a place is offered. It is worthwhile speaking to the headteacher and maybe taking your daughter for a visit, particularly if she has never been in the building before. Seeing the activities they provide might encourage her to change her mind. Failing that, appeal and don't give up. One mum I know appealed three times and managed to get her son into a decent comprehensive school.

Good Luck,

Linda
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi Footymad,

So sorry to hear your news. Generally you can accept the place at the school you are offered and still go ahead and appeal for your higher preference without jeopardising the place you have been allocated. Nothing ventured nothing gained - if you can cope with it all.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Footymad,

What does your daughter want you to do? As Alex said you can provisionally accept the place and appeal - you never know a different panel might mean success.

Your daughter might be prepared to look at a Grammar - whatever you decide, if she's involved it'll be OK.

Good luck and keep us posted
forumadmin
Site Admin

Sorry to read your news ...

Post by forumadmin »

Dear Footymad,

We were sorry to learn the news for your second daughter.

You were an inspiration to many parents for the best part of two years.

We want you to know that our best wishes are with you and hope that this situation can come to a happier conclusion.

ForumAdmin
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Footymad

Oh dear, oh dear. What a mess! I can't add very much to the contributions everyone else has made, so perhaps I shall just say that I hope the pizza is tasty!

More seriously, I really feel for you, and I hope that your daughter can come to a decision that you and she are both happy with. And if in doubt, APPEAL!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
xx
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Footymad..... The system has failed you :evil: . I can't really add anything but to say that I feel for you and your daughter. There is nothing lost by an appeal (except hours of sleep due to the stress). I wish you luck in whatever path your daughter decides to take.
yorkshireperson

Post by yorkshireperson »

Thanks for your good wishes in my other posting. I can sympathise with what you are going through.

Just go for the appeal or whatever it takes. For all the times you try and fail in life, there is a percentage of times you will succeed. I know it all seems like a lot of hassle and a long road but, if you don't go for it, you'll always look back and say "what if"

Also, try not to blame yourself. We can only make decisions which feel right at the time. If they don't work out then we can't blame ourselves. You seem very caring and obviously did what you thought was BEST.

Good Luck!