do i let her try the entrance exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
o5o5

do i let her try the entrance exams

Post by o5o5 »

hi, my 9 year old daughter(year 5)has told me she doesn;t want to go to her local comp when she is due to go, she wants to try for a couple of independent schools.I know she is bright (she has just been selected for the gifted and talented initiative at school) but how do i know if she will be able to pass the exam, is there a certain pass mark for each school or are they all much of a muchness.At the end of year 4 she was assessed to be at a level 4c, is this just average, any help appreciated.
HP

Post by HP »

Hi

Level 4b is considered average at the end of Year 6. The average that children are expected to achieve is 1 level every 2 years:

Year 2 (end of KS1) 2b
Year 4 3b
Year 6 (end of KS2) 4b

If your daughter was already 4c with 2 years left at primary then she is well above average. You do need to establish if this was for all subjects or just one area.

If you would like to post your question again in your area then I'm sure that you will get specific advice as to the level of preparation needed for the exams for your secondary schools.

HP
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You have to have a good look at the independent schools and consider the other options too.
Many independent schools have a taxing exam / high standards but many are much easier to get in than state grammar schools. - indeed some have very little in the way of an "entrance exam".
In some areas there are excesses of independent school places - in ours it seems to be that there are many girls places and the schools are all trying to attract the same group of girls. Many kids will pass for 2 or 3 and then the school has to hope that their school is the one they will take - as ultimately pupils means income to the school. - hence some school have very long waiting lists while others try the tack of "no-one ever refuses a place we offer here" -actually they do but they are trying to make you feel guilty.