Year 5 NFER results - help with understanding scores please!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fimac

Year 5 NFER results - help with understanding scores please!

Post by fimac »

Hello

My dd has just brought home her Year 5 NFER results, which I am having trouble deciding whether they are average/good

Reading Standardised 121 (NC level 5)

Writing NC level 5

Maths 116 (NC level 4b)

NFER standardised spelling 118

Someone has told me that you need to get a 'VQR of 115' to get into Grammars, locally. Could someone help me with these results - not sure whether we should be thinking along the Grammar school route or not, based on these marks.

Help :(
fimac

Post by fimac »

Anyone?

:?
Guest5

Post by Guest5 »

Hi

A child should be achieving level 4 in year 6 to be average. As your daughter is achieving level 5s in year 5 then she is above average and should get level 5s next year. Her maths mark should increase to a level 5 in a year's time.

For standardised scores - 100 is average, so she is above average.

As for grammar school - depends where you are as to what the pass mark is and what tests are taken. In Bucks, the pass is 121 on verbal reasoning. However, level 5s are no indication of suitability for grammar school according to the appeal panel. My son failed the 11+, was forecast 3 level 5s, has just achieved 3 level 5s, but we were turned down at appeal. One of his friends passed the 11+, but didn't achieve 3 level 5s!

Good luck

Post by Guest »

Thanks - as our LEA are introducting a new system of preference this Autumn, in that you will be allocated your first choice place only (if successful) we are unsure as to whether we should be taking the 'gamble' of sitting her for the test - if she does not get in we have lost her local senior school place as they also insist on being put in first place to gain entry

:(
pcn

school place

Post by pcn »

If you put your first and second choice of secondary school down and THEN put the grammar school chosen in third place ,shouldyour child then fail the 11-plus you will still hopefully get your first choice school(dependant on the intake number!)-if your child passes and gets a good score then you will get an offer of a grammar school and the secondary school choices will be irelevant
pcn

school places

Post by pcn »

If it's not too late , just try to box-clever, but do make sure not to to put the grammar school first as that will be a wasted chance on a place/choice if exam results are not good.

Post by Guest »

Are you sure? In Bucks last year we were told the 1st school listed that had an available place would be the school offered and that if your child passed the 11+ but you had an upper school higher on your list that had a space that is the school your child would be offered. However if you placed a grammar school 1st and your child did not pass then as the school would not be offering your child a place then they worked down your preferences until they reached an upper school that had a place.
Guest5

Post by Guest5 »

Yes above reply is correct for Bucks, but not sure about other places.

If you put a grammar school 3rd in Bucks and passed you wouldn't get it as you had placed schools above it.
Guest666

Post by Guest666 »

Guest5 wrote: If you put a grammar school 3rd in Bucks and passed you wouldn't get it as you had placed schools above it.
Same in Essex. Available place is offered to highest on your list i.e. put grammar school top and then secondary school, in case child fails 11+. If you put secondary school first and child passes 11+, grammar place won't be offered as you said you preferred secondary school first. The head of the grammar school told us this on Tuesday. :?
pcn

NFERresult places

Post by pcn »

Now I'm totally confused as we were told by Slough Grammar schools to put them further down the list because if the child got good results we could tell the local schools thanks but no thanks and we would be offered a place (depending on the score) by one of them. If the score was not high enough we then will not have jepordised a possible place at the high school of our choice.