what do these scores mean.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confussed mum

what do these scores mean.

Post by confussed mum »

Hi, I've already posted this on the Kent page, but no-one from Kent seems to be answering so I'll try here. We've had the CAT scores back from school and my daughter has scored 140 in both NVR and VR. However, her maths scores were 113. Does this mean she would not get offered a Grammar place. I'm after Gravesend or Dartford (still very confussed as to which) Our tests are not until Jan, but I'd be grateful for any input as if she is unlikely to pass I will obviously have to consider putting 2 comps. The School teacher seems very positive, but I am concerned that if she fails and I don't get the comp that I've put down (not the most local!) we will be sent God knows where. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shelly
SJ

Re: what do these scores mean.

Post by SJ »

confussed mum wrote:Hi, I've already posted this on the Kent page, but no-one from Kent seems to be answering so I'll try here. We've had the CAT scores back from school and my daughter has scored 140 in both NVR and VR. However, her maths scores were 113. Does this mean she would not get offered a Grammar place. I'm after Gravesend or Dartford (still very confussed as to which) Our tests are not until Jan, but I'd be grateful for any input as if she is unlikely to pass I will obviously have to consider putting 2 comps. The School teacher seems very positive, but I am concerned that if she fails and I don't get the comp that I've put down (not the most local!) we will be sent God knows where. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shelly
Being naive here and showing my ignorance, but what are CAT tests

Post by Guest »

Sorry, should have said. They are exams taken in the school and sent out for external marking.
SJ

Post by SJ »

I presume then that these tests have been sat in primary school?
bucksguest

Post by bucksguest »

Not familiar with what areas are tested for the Kent 11+, but if it is like Bucks (ie Verbal Reasoning only) a score of 140 is very high and as a score of 121 is required you would expect a pass. The CAT test is a Cognitive Ability Test which most primary schools around here sit from year 3 onwards.
SJ

Post by SJ »

bucksguest wrote:Not familiar with what areas are tested for the Kent 11+, but if it is like Bucks (ie Verbal Reasoning only) a score of 140 is very high and as a score of 121 is required you would expect a pass. The CAT test is a Cognitive Ability Test which most primary schools around here sit from year 3 onwards.
Thats interesting I am not aware that my son who was original in Cambridgeshire, now Lincolnshire has ever had a CAT test in school, only the normal baseline assessment and SATS at primary school.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

My son had a CAT test in year 7 - the school assured us that it was nothing the kids could prepare for in anyway and the reason it was done was so that they could get an idea of where the children were in terms of intelligence/ability at year 7 so that they could plot a predicted graph of achievement for each child each year up until their GCSE's. This will then tell the school whether a child is reaching their expected level in each subsequent year to ensure that they get their predicted grades. It also flags up kids who are unachieving, and also shows them who is studying well and going beyond their predicted levels etc etc.....Basically it's nothing for parents or child to worry about but something that the school use early on to help them chart your child's progress throughout the school.

In Year 7 my son was predicted very good grades for his GCSE's but they said that this was not a guarantee - he would still have to do the work but now they knew what he was capable of - in many ways I think it really spurred him on.
MelX

CATS

Post by MelX »

Hi there

My son took a cat test in th February of his year 5. It was in maths, verbal and non- verbal and it was set so that we could get an idea as to whether our children should be put forward for the 11+. Infact us parents were invited to the school one evening when we were given the results and told that if our child scored above 111 then we should put them in for the 11+ and if not then not. It was good because we were not told the children would be taking it so it was a 'raw' test and gave a realsitic result. Saying that at our school lots of peole started tuition in the beginning of year five so ofcourse those kids would of done better. We based our decision as to whether we should encourage our son to do the 11+ by his results. He had not had tuition up til then and he scored above the 111 . I guess if all schools did this it would help the parents.

MelX
kerym

Post by kerym »

My son also sat the Cat tests in years 3 and 4 and assume he will do so again in year 5. We are on Herts/Bucks border and I know of many primary schools that also do this test. As well as VR, NVR and maths he was also tested on spelling. Likewise we were not advised that they were taking place and were told the results at parents evening. I also know that like the 11+ these scores are standardised and I believe the headteacher can use them to assist an appeal should your child fail the 11+ (assuming the scores were above the pass mark)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now