Standardisation

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"the quality of teacher had a much bigger impact than any other factor, to the extent that our children would be better off in an average school with a very able teacher than in a top school with an average one"

Generally agree, but depends on the child to a large extent as well. My wife and I recently realised that we have never formed any opinion about the ability of any of our daughter's teachers (it's never been an issue) but we have always had firm opinions about the abilities of all our son's teachers - it's just more important (and obvious!) in some cases than others...

"My personal feeling is that not too many – if any – bright children slip through the net and don’t get into GS, but there are a lot who just miss out but could cope quite happily."

Absolutely!

"Giving any weight to one individual’s subjective and possibly biased opinion is a terrible way of making decisions about a child’s secondary schooling."

Absolutely right again; seen it all too often.

Mike
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Rob Clark wrote:Charlotte, I can’t agree with your view of the HT review, I’m afraid. Giving any weight to one individual’s subjective and possibly biased opinion is a terrible way of making decisions about a child’s secondary schooling.
I didn't say that I agreed with it or thought that it was effective, just that was what it was intended to address the issue of boarderline children.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

sycamore wrote:The differences between GS and Comprehensives/High schools/Secondary Moderns etc are about much more than the intelligence of the intake.

The fact that their resources are not being used to support the least able, the academic nature of the curriculum (as opposed to the vocational courses offered by many comprehensives), parents who might be more aspirational for their children and the high expectations of the schools themselves all have a part to play.
But isn't that a crying shame? One of the most valuable resources we have - parent power - could be put to good use; helping to drive up standards in all schools for the good of all children and of this country!

I'm expecting the music to start soon. And hoping that I don't fall of this soap box.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Sorry, Charlotte, didn’t meant to snap. It’s a bit of a raw nerve that one as we have an HT who doesn’t agree with selective education so refuses to write letters of support (or allow other teachers do so).
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

No apology necessary Rob. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties and wish you good luck.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Most top Universities do not take account of General Studies. On the other hand my daughter's Grammar will not let the majorty of their bright young things studyCritical Thinking (the alternative to General Studies - also not acknowledged by Universities.) unless they pass an internal test in the subject.
The whole subject is in fact irrelevant.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now