Can we DIY

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dikili

Can we DIY

Post by dikili »

Hi I bought some test papers of Amazon a couple of months ago and have been working through them with my son. I hadn't even realised that they didn't do the English exams in Kent so am glad to have found this site.

He is very strong on NVR after the first couple and seemed to get the hang of it quite quickly, he is also good at NVR and is getting better on the Maths exams after some weak scores on the first few attempts. His weakest subject is probably English out of all of the them so was quite glad to find out this is only used on appeal.

How many papers in general do they need to be able to answer I have about 6 of each. If he can get good results on these papers is this sufficient or do I need to widen the range of papers or learning resources.

In terms of taking the exams he has already learned to answer the questions he's best at first and can finish them all within the 50 minutes. With the maths questions he has improved It seemed to be because he was unfamiliar with the types of questions rather than a lack of natural ability. I am pleased to say he appears to have turned the corner now getting 42 out 50 right yesterday as an example.

Like all us parents I want to do the best for him but money is tight and cant afford a private tutor for months and months if at all. Therefore if he is at a point where he can get about 80% or more right in all the range of test papers I have now would he need one? We are in the Canterbury area so I understand from what has happened historically he just needs to pass to get a place.
moved

Post by moved »

I suggest that you post in the Kent section. Any one can DIY as long as you are organised and disciplined with the work. I would recommend more than six papers unless your son is very bright.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now