Multiple Choice Answers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Haze

Multiple Choice Answers

Post by Haze »

This may be a question more specific to our local area (Calderdale) but thought I'd start out with it here.

Our exam has multiple choice answers. So far I have not been able to see a real paper so only have what can be bought or is available online.
I was just wondering if the papers are actually marked by people or by some machine looking for lines in the right place? If it's the latter does the line position have to be accurate?

I realise, compared to getting the answer correct, this may be a trivial point, but my DS is slightly dyspraxic and his work tends to be on the scruffy side, so I need to know if this is something we need to prepare for in advance. I would hate to see him lose marks because he got this simple point wrong!
:roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

they are marked by scanning through a computer, which only knows right or wrong, so no 'benefit of the doubt'

(edited to correct appalling typing!)
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Haze,

MCQ papers are machine-marked.

It is not trivial to want to get it right and even more important for your son to get it right.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... il&start=0
Haze

Post by Haze »

Oh. I'm glad I asked then. :?

Looks like we had better make sure DS knows that and can make the mark clearly and neatly. Thanks .
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

and check he is marking the on the right number question, it is not uncommon to be one out...
Haze

Post by Haze »

Hmm. He is left handed so tends to work all back-to-front anyway.
Is it easy to get the wrong marking boxes with the wrong answers then?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

They can slip across one. Patricia gave a good tip , to point to question number on paper, then check you have right place on answer paper by pointing to number on answer sheet check before marking. It's worth getting into the habit of doing this so that it becomes second nature.

I had a pupil who in practice test transposed the answers one to the right, so although he had worked out the correct answer he had marked it in the wrong place. The computer would have been unable to see that he had worked out correct answer and counted about 20 questions as wrong whereas I could see what he had done. He checked carefully after that!!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Presumably your son will have the answer sheet on his left (for marking the answers) and the question paper on his right.

It shouldn't matter then with regards to speed and tidiness as with a little practice, he will be able to mark his answers correctly, except in a reverse direction to right-handers.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

pardon my ignorance about what they ACTUALLY use but I was taken aback the first time I came across a computer marked answer sheet - I was quite old and crumbly at the time..... they looked like

Image -

I presume all the kids are more familiar with them these days before they get to exams
Haze

Post by Haze »

Awwhhh heck! That's nothing like we have seen before.
Is this what we should expect? Is the answer sheet just A,B,C,D or E with a cross reference to be done? Previously we have always had the answer options themselves on the answer sheet.
:?