St Olaves waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: St Olaves waiting list

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I know of one parent who is opting for an Indie due to the uncertainty there's been at the moment but reading between the lines her DS wasn't likely to get an offer anyway despite the parent saying he would, I also know of another who is delighted that the previous Head has gone and is now more inclined to accept, plus knowing the school has a slush fund of over £1m :shock: so the school is unlike most state schools that are in dire straits. I suppose the recent happenings cuts multiple ways. The intake is quite small so movement of 50 places suggested up thread would be two fifths of the total number which sounds a lot of movement given the intake.
Crescent26

Post by Crescent26 »

PettswoodFiona, thanks for your post above. I wondered what uncertainty there was at the moment? I have a son in Year 9, and our impression is that after an eventful Autumn term, now the Acting Head is doing a good job, there have some welcome changes like the recent wellbeing week, and a 'no homework week' every half term so the boys can focus on extracurricular interests. I wondered what specific concerns the parent opting for the indie place had - always good to have a heads up.

(Quite enjoyed the 'slush fund' - dictionary definition is "a reserve of money used for illicit purposes, especially political bribery". While it is extremely annoying that the previous head was alllllllways asking for more money - when not banging on about oxbridge acceptances - and not spending my £50 a month contribution, I don't think there is any suggestion that it was intended for any illicit purposes? :wink:)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Crescent26 wrote:PettswoodFiona, thanks for your post above. I wondered what uncertainty there was at the moment? I have a son in Year 9, and our impression is that after an eventful Autumn term, now the Acting Head is doing a good job, there have some welcome changes like the recent wellbeing week, and a 'no homework week' every half term so the boys can focus on extracurricular interests. I wondered what specific concerns the parent opting for the indie place had - always good to have a heads up.

(Quite enjoyed the 'slush fund' - dictionary definition is "a reserve of money used for illicit purposes, especially political bribery". While it is extremely annoying that the previous head was alllllllways asking for more money - when not banging on about oxbridge acceptances - and not spending my £50 a month contribution, I don't think there is any suggestion that it was intended for any illicit purposes? :wink:)
I thought that the parents were asked for the £50 per month contribution as the school had a deficit? 1 Million spare fund? Wow!

Salsa
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I didn’t mean slush fund in a negative term, I certainly didn’t know the context of illicit purposes so I didn’t mean it in that way. It was more a jokey term as it is something positive to come out of the recent events in that at one point they didn’t know what had happened to it.

I think parents considering the school who have spoken to me have said they were worried about the fact the Governors didn’t know the full extent of the problems and also what the absence of a Head might mean, they don’t know whether the arrangements are working so it is good to hear they are but if you are on the outside it is harder to judge these things. As I say some see the new arrangements as a plus as they didn’t like the old Head. I reassure and also use the example of DD’s school which is less than perfect for Heads and Management and how she is thriving and getting a good education inspite of both real and perceived imperfections.
kumi

Post by kumi »

recived reply from the school. They advised me to contact Bromley council. Their reply was

With reference to your email dated * March, we can confirm that ***** name remains on our waiting list. Under the Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme we are unable to comment on the likelihood of your son being offered a place at St Olave’s as the waiting list is managed by the London Borough of Bromley.”

So no clear answer.
kumi

Post by kumi »

After this I called school. They said WL NOT available till mid May. She did not tell me those code words of “ likely” or “highly likely”. So even more confused after the phone calls. I did not have any problem in getting WL FOR OTHER 2 schools.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

The 'likely' 'possible' and 'unlikely' categories don't exist any more. they used to be given out after sitting the test and prior to completing the CAF - but now that it's a 2 stage process you don't get any indication of how they've done until after places have been allocated.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

kumi wrote:recived reply from the school. They advised me to contact Bromley council. Their reply was

With reference to your email dated * March, we can confirm that ***** name remains on our waiting list. Under the Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme we are unable to comment on the likelihood of your son being offered a place at St Olave’s as the waiting list is managed by the London Borough of Bromley.”

So no clear answer.
Why not call Bromley Council then?
kumi

Post by kumi »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
kumi wrote:recived reply from the school. They advised me to contact Bromley council. Their reply was

So no clear answer.
Why not call Bromley Council then?
I did call Bromley council. She checked the details of my DS on her system but did not give any relevant information.
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

I was talking to someone at bromley admissions today apparently some second round offers for st Olaves were sent out last week . She couldn't tell me exactly how many but there weren't a lot ...something like 10. I have never been through this process before but would have thought that there would have been a lot more rejection of first round offers than this . At this rate offers won't do past 150 on the waiting list ..... Can anyone who has been through the st Olaves process give a little insight?
Thanking you ,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now