Bromley schools in Evening Standard

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bluesea

Bromley schools in Evening Standard

Post by bluesea »

Anyone see the Evening Standard yesterday? Compared Bromley's highest achieving schools. In order of results at A Level St O's in first place followed by Eltham College and Bromley High with over 40 points, followed by Newstead which is now in the 30s.
grgygirl

Re: Bromley schools in Evening Standard

Post by grgygirl »

Do you have a link Bluesea please?
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/educati ... 50671.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prepare for lots of adverts, but I found them in the end. Looks like this is from 26 January though so I’m not sure if bluesea is referring to different tables?
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Yes, they republished them. Here they are. St O's has increased the size of its sixth form.

BROMLEY
2017 A Levels results only
Key
A = No of candidates;
B = average point score per entry;
C = % of students getting AAB or more

School
St Olave’s & St Saviour’s Grammar (VA/M)
A 230
B 48.11
C 72.4%
Eltham College (IND/M)
A 129
B 44.28
C 38.3%
Bromley High School (IND/G)
A 54
B 42.08
C 36.2%
Newstead Wood School (ACC/M)
A 111
B 39.55
C 30.4%

Why does Newstead show 111 A level students for 2017 here and yet on their website results page they show 103 students?

Anyone know why these figures would be different?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks Bluesea. I had heard a rumour (and that is all it is a rumour that I can't substantiate) that some rejected St O students sat their A Levels at NW but were not fully on roll, don't quite know how that would work but may be an explanation of the different numbers???

I see the compare schools tool has a figure now for % number completing their studies and NW has 111 taking exams and 110 on roll so at least one not on roll pupil but that doesn't explain a difference of 7 or 8 students.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Yes, PWF. Good point. That could well be the reason. I know some of the St O's Year 12s who were chucked out did not take up the offer to go back to St O's when the public campaign made the school back down. So perhaps you're correct and a few moved over to Newstead.

Can anyone else confirm this?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I have an idea on the GCSE number of takers mystery. I was thinking if it could be those few students who take one GCSE early, typically one like Mandarin, so not part of the main GCSE cohort but are a sitter of exams for that year?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Some of the students who were initially shown the door went on to private school sixth forms.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Thanks grgygirl. Yes, I expect those private schools were happy to take in some clever students. It would be interesting if the parents sued the former school for the cost of the fees.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now